Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desperate for Help: Dying HR10-250 - Video/Audio Drop, BSOD, Error Messages Galore!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate for Help: Dying HR10-250 - Video/Audio Drop, BSOD, Error Messages Galore!

My HR10-250 is going down in flames. This past week I have tried everything up to and including replacing the hard-drive. Nothing works. (Note: I am still running 3.1 so at least we can rule out a 6.3 issue).

For the past week I have been dealing with the following symptoms:

-Video will pause and stutter while audio completely drops out completely for 10 seconds or more. This happens every 2 to 3 minutes making watching anything (live or recorded) and exercise in futility.
    -There is a very audible, high-pitched WHINE sound (from the hard drive?) during the 10+ second time frame that is taking place.
    - It affects both live and recorded programming. After the 10+ second video/audio drop you can rewind the programming and the audio/video is fine. Meaning the recording itself is not corrupted, just the delivery/output for those periods (not an OTA/Sat reception problem).
    - It affects both digital/HD programming (ota and sat) as well as SD satellite programming.
    -It usually (but not always) is accompanied by an "Invalid Access Card" and sometimes "Please insert you Access Card" error message.
    -I can’t watch anything with the Tivo, and now I can’t record anything either as I keep getting “please activate your DVR service” type errors.
    -I Was getting the “Blue Screen of Death” Temp-To-high screen, but I opened the case and blew out the dust and re-seated the power supply cable and the problem has not come up again.

While researching this forum and getting suggestions from forum members, I tried the following to fix the symptoms:

-Called DirecTV to have them send a re-authorizion code for the access card. No good.
    -Called DriecTV and had them send me a NEW access card. No Good.
    -Did a Clear and Delete Everything. No Good.
    -Finally I decided that it must be a hard-drive issue, right? I mean that’s got to explain the loud WHINE every 3 minutes along with the stuttering/dropped video and audio. So I took this as a good opportunity to upgrade to a 400GB Seagate. I installed the HD, did a c&de now have a 400GB hard-drive… BUT THE TIVO IS BEHAVING EXACTLY THE SAME! I’m getting that loud pitched whine w/ dropped audio/video and error messages on my fresh new HD!

Now I know it is not a Hard Drive issue. Is this the hardware corrupting the card? Or is the hardware reading/processing the card incorrectly? Is it bad card-reader? Can you replace that? And what does is the hard-drive whining video/audio dropping have to do with account/card/reader issues? Or is it a power supply issue? Something else.

I am at my wits end and at a total loss. Does anyone know what is going on and how I can fix it? I am desperate.

Thanks in advance for everone sharing their thoughts, opinions and advice.

Josh

When you installed the new drive, did the whine go away? If not, then have you been able to determine the source?

Comment

Nope. The whine did not go away, Jeff. Everything behaved exactly the same with the new drive as it did with the old. To me it still seems like the whine comes from the Hard Drive, old or new. It's like an amplified version of the "seek" sound a HD makes.

I have given up hope of fixing this myself and have sent the unit to CSS Corp. for repair. It will cost me $200, but I see no better solution at this time.

I will let everyone know how it works out.

Thanks,
      J

Comment

Working...
      X