second upgrade question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• second upgrade question

I am upgrading my series 2 tivo for the second time.
    I put my tivo's WD 120gb drive as primary master on the system and the new WD 500gb drive as primary slave in a machine with 1 cd drive as secondary master.

I was originally trying to use the weaknees upgrade instructions but when I used the command

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi /dev/hdb

a message saying that the tivo was originally a 20 and upgraded to a 120 was displayed, but nothing happened, then I noticed I missed a dash

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

then it told me there was not enough space to complete the action. It reported the size of both drives correctly when I used shift-pageup to check the drive size

So I switched to Hinsdale which I used originally to upgrade. I used the DD command

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=1024

then I used

mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb

it reported the new size correctly I used the 3 finger salute and powered down

now neither drive works. The wd 500gb does not get past the grey "welcome. Powering up..." and the wd 120gb drive gets to the first color tivo screen "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." then fizzes out and reboots back to the grey welcome screen. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by mortusnox; 07-24-2007, 11:33 PM.

That mfsadd command is definitely wrong. It should have been:

Code:
    mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdb
    Not sure why hdc is in there - that was your CD, right?

But the problem sounds like the 120 was already an upgrade, so you can't re-expand that drive position. You'd need to do a settings-only upgrade, losing the shows.

Now, though, do you have an image you can use to get either drive to work?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

ahh that explains it, and I do not think that I have a working image. I am trying to restore the original image that I made before I upgraded to 120, but when I restore that to the 500gb drive it does not seem to work. I am going to try and restore it to a smaller drive and see what happens. Do you think that I can just get the settings only from the 120 drive, or should I try and restore the original image to a 40gb and then upgrade to the 500gb?

Thanks for the help.

Second question if all of my images are bad where can I get a new Tivo 240080 series 2 image?
      Last edited by mortusnox; 07-25-2007, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Continued problems

I tried to restore the backup I made following the hinsdale instructions when I first upgraded to 120, when I restore them to either a 40gb drive or the 500gb drive the tivow never makes it past the grey welcome screen (I wait 15min). When I try my 120 it gets to the first almost there screen and then fizzes out and reboots. When I try to kickstart it and us codes 52, 56, 57, or 58 I sometimes get a message that it is upgrading the software but it still restarts a little after that without saying it completed and then it still goes back into loops. when I run test on both the 120 and 500 gb drives they report in working properly. when I try to use the weakness interactive instructions to get just the settings from the 120 (hda) to the 500(hdb)

mfsbackup -f 9999 -so - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

the message I get back is

Second MFS drive: No such file or directory
        Second MFS drive2: Illeagal seak
        Second MFS drive: No such file or directory
        Second MFS drive3: Illeagal seak
        Mfs_load_volume_header: Total sectors (233500672) mismatch with volume header (1210250240)
        mfs_load_volume_header: Loading anyway.
        mfs_load_zone_map: Primary zone map corrupt, loading backup.
        mfs_load_zone_map: Secondary zone map corrupt, giving up.
        mfs_load_zone_map: Zone mep checksum error!
        mfsbackup: Backup failed to startup. Make sue you specified the right devices, and the the drives are not locked.
        Restore failed: -: Success
        weaknees#

HELP!

what can I do now??????

I have another series 2 Tivo a 540 and I have the original drive sitting to the side, can I use that to get me out this mess?

Comment

Working...
        X