Clarification on replacing 1 or 2 drives...HDVR2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification on replacing 1 or 2 drives...HDVR2

Here is my situation, i have an HDVR2 with the stiock drive and a 120 GB "b" drive that is going bad. I want to replace the 120 with a new 7200rpm WD caviar and preserve the recordings on the 120.

But in reading the how to i see "upgrade configuration #6" wherein i can copy both drives to a single drive( i can return the 160 and get a larger drive) and wonder if this may be a better option.
    Is it really this easy?
    But i have a question...see bold below..

UPGRADE CONFIGURATION #6:

To: New Single Large A Drive

(Slow option – preserves setup, season passes, etc. and recordings)

Those wishing to replace their standalone dual drive TiVo with a new single larger A drive while preserving their recordings will need to copy/combine their complete existing TiVo A+B drives to the new larger single upgrade A drive (must be atleast as large as the combined A+B drive). This can be time consuming and those not concerned about recordings should see Upgrade Configuration #2:

Those with dual drive DirecTiVos, dual drive Series 2 units (with user added B drive), the rare factory combined dual drive standalones (see Step 7 Option #2 for description), or dual drive UK Thompson TiVo will not have enough available partitions remaining in order to combine their existing drives onto a single larger A drive and expand to use any remaining space while still preserving their recordings. For further upgrade possibilities of these units see Upgrade Configuration #2 (will not preserve recordings) or Upgrade Configuration #4 or #5 (preserves recordings).

My HDVR2 was originally a single drive unit which i aded the 120 to years ago, it this what they are refering to here? Can i NOT use this method? I dont understand the "not enough partitions issue"

This option will not require your dos/windows C: drive and so this can now be removed from your PC to free up available IDE ports (remember you can use any available IDE ports you wish – just make sure to adjust the command line parameters to reflect your particular IDE connections).

Verify that your existing TiVo A drive is jumpered to Master and connected to the Primary Master IDE port in your PC. Also verify that your existing TiVo B drive is jumpered to Slave and connected to the Primary Slave IDE port in your PC. Lastly verify that your large upgrade drive, for use as your new TiVo A drive, is still jumpered to Master and attach it to the Secondary Master IDE connector in your PC. If this is the drive that you just used to test your Mfs Tools backup image, then the restored image is still present and will be overwritten during the copy/expansion procedure below.

Power up your PC with the Boot Cd in your cd-rom. Boot Cd users should then hit <enter> to initiate default boot option. You will then see displayed on your screen a series of readouts before presenting you with a linux # prompt. Make sure to review the text output and confirm that your hard drive is being recognized at its full size (you can hold down the shift + page-up to review the output - Boot Cd users page-up approximately 6 times to view drive reports).

If the drive sizes are not reported correctly, you may either have a locked drive (will report size as 9-10MB - see section 7 for instructions to unlock) or you may need to turn off your computers Bios IDE detection - search Avs TiVo Underground forum if you need assistance accessing your computer's CMOS.

Command to copy/expand from dual drive to new single larger A drive:

(Assumes existing TiVo A drive as Primary Master, existing TiVo B drive as Primary Slave, and new larger upgrade A drive as Secondary Master)

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdc

This will generally take from 1-4 hours depending upon drive size, ATA, CPU speed etc. In some circumstances this can take as long as 8 hours or more. Mfs Tools will provide progress readouts and results when completed (if screen goes blank before finishing simply hit the shift key to restore screen if needed). Make sure when the command is finished that no errors were reported. When complete you can press Ctrl-Alt-Del and wait for the 'No more processes ... ' message or the system starts to reboot, then power down. You are now ready to install your drives in your TiVo and can skip to Step 11.

Note for those who are copying to non-Quantum A drives: If you have copied an image running TiVo software version 2.0 or below (does not apply to 2.0.1 or above) to a non-Quantum A drive you will need to now run TiVoMad’s edit_bootparms program at the end of Step 8 before continuing.

Last edited by Brando; 08-03-2007, 04:44 AM.

I ended up doing the configuration #4 replacing the B drive.
    Wroked flawlessly it SEEMED but found that a number of recordings had not transfered. Got the error : unable to record because there was no signal...on shows that were there prior. No a huge deal though, we shalll see if this resolves the reboot issue.

Comment

That may mean you had problems with the old drive . . .
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
        That may mean you had problems with the old drive . . .
        That was the point of chnaging the drive actually...it was starting to fail.
        Aside from the fail transfer of some recordings, the new drive seems to have resolved the freezing and pixelating issue that was starting to happen.

Thank for the help, i know i was firing off a bunch of questions.

Comment

No problem - you seem to have gotten lucky in that the problems you had were not in the TiVo OS portions of the drive, just in the media storage areas.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X