Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo motherboard?

what is the life expectancy of the tivo motherboard? as yet i haven't seen
    them offered for sale at weaknees or elsewhere. i'm wondering if its a good idea to invest $$ in replacement HD's and power supplies and then possibly a short time later the motherboard will 'go south' ! is their sometyhing i'm not understanding?
    thx.

We do not sell motherboards because TiVo service is tied to the motherboard, so swapping motherboards means your TiVo won't follow it. Typically, it is not a part that is swapped in its entirety for that reason.

Comment

Tivo Motherboard Longevity

I don't have any input on the HD version (in fact I am currently having a problem with my unit - but not sure what the cause is yet).

However, the Series 1 units lasted a long time. I still have my S1 and it still works. Even after various disk drive upgrades and replacements (which I did myself). I'd say be prepared to replace the drives frequently over a period of about 7-8 years because the drives are the most likely thing to fail...frequently. BTW, the S1 has lasted about 7-8 years (I can't recall exactly...it's been a LONG time) with drive replacements. Just make sure to take care of the unit properly.

-Donner

Comment

Heat is the only real enemy to motherboards (barring a catastrophic power supply failure, very rare).

Anything you can do to make certain the Tivo runs as cool as possible will be a boon to the whole unit, and may even help the hard drive(s) to last longer.

Comment

Working...
        X