Help with TIVO Drive Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with TIVO Drive Replacement

I have one of the original Seriers 1 Phillips TIVOs. Originally it has about 20 hours. I started having problems with the TIVO acting very slow and I read it could be a disk problem, so I upgrades to an 80Gbyte disk and everything went well. Well, now two years later I am having the same slow action again. So I decided to try to upgrade to a 160Byte Seagate disk.

I connected the original 80GB disk to hda as master and the new seagate 160Byte disk to hdb as slave. And booted from the CD on hdc. During the boot it showed my hda as 80026MB and my hdb 137437MB. Which seemed correct (137GB Max). I used the same software and command I did 2 years ago as follows:

mfsbackup -aqo -/dev/hda |mfsrestore -xpi -/dev/hdb

It came immediately back with restore failed : -:Success and stopped.

On the new disk I took it straight out the box and connected it up after changing the jumpers. I am not sure if I am suppose to have done anything to the disk first or not.

Any help on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Robert

First off, you can't expand the 80 onto anything bigger than itself because the original image has already been expanded once, so you're already using the two drive partitions available.

You should follow procedures for either doing a non-expanded copy, meaning without the "x" or you can try a settings only copy in which case you'd lose the programming but still be able to use the full capacity of the 160GB drive.
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Update

I played with cables and jumpers and finally got the restore to work. I used the -xpi option though. I then installed the new 160GB drive in my TIVO and it seemed to work fine at first. But then it came up with "A Severe Receiver Error has occcured" message and said to leave connected to a phone line for three hours. I disconnect the power and rebooted but this time it came straight up to the " A Severe error has occured" message. I put in my old drive and it booted just fine. Could this be because I used the -xpi on the restore?? I will try again tonight to backup and restore again without the -x part. Will everything still work O.K. doing that even though my new drive is larger than my old drive. Do I need to go buy the exact same drive size (80GB).

My plan is to try to redo the backup and restore without the -x option. If that does not work I will try to use the new disk without saving the recorded shows. If that still does not work I am thinking about buying the exact make and size disk as my current TIVO disk (Western Digital 80GB).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Sounds like something went bad in the copy. Either the old or new drive is bad - you should probably test both first to see if you can figure out what's going on.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X