HR10-250 Temp Issue/ Random Grey Screen after rename of fancontrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR10-250 Temp Issue/ Random Grey Screen after rename of fancontrol

I have an HR10-250 which ran fine until I started getting the internal temp error warning at boot up.

I ensure the unit was NOT runing hot, then I edited the /tvbin directory and renamed fancontrol to fancontrol.old

This allowed the unit to fully boot up and play BUT, every 3 to 5 minutes the screen goes grey and an access card message displays on the screen. Also any thing that records also "jumps" padt those times ( a 60 min show ends up about 40+/- minutes of playback)

This happens via ALL outputs (RF, Comp., S-Vid & HDMI) You can still see the TiVo menus and browse thru them with no problems.

Could this be simply a bad power supply or something else?
    Does the unit get the TEMP from the power supply.

Anyone else have any thoughts or seen this before? I hate to blow $$ on a power supply if that is not the issue.

Thanks!

That really does sound like a classic power supply symptom. I'm pretty sure a replacement will do the trick. See our TiVo power supply page.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Well if you feel that certain about it I guess I will take a chance and give it a try.

Thanks!

Comment

Please do try one, and report back. I don't think I've ever seen that situation where a new power supply isn't the fix.

Comment

I trust your experence and hope its not a waste. I am surprised that no one else has posted anything about a similar issue.

Comment

We do cover that in our HR10-250 troubleshooting and repair page. Where did you come across the info?

Comment

I guess with all of the searching and trial and error of trying things I over looked it. It certainly seems like the power supply is dropping voltage to the access card ect and this is when the reciever goes grey screen, displays the access card message and stops recording video.

I just placed the order for a power supply with 2day shipping, I hope it gets shipped out today. If so I will recieve it on Wednesday as I am in Ohio.

Is there anyplace that repairs power supplies or buys used/defective ones for repair?

Thanks again for your help and I WILL post the results.
              Dave

Comment

Just found your order - it's going out today and you should see it on Wednesday.

We don't know of any company that buys these to fix them. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                X