No video output through Tivo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No video output through Tivo

I just moved last week and my Tivo has not worked since. I have Tivo Series 2 and use a cable box (Cox cable). I spent an hour and a half on line with Tivo customer service and still can't get it to work. We have verified and re-verified that everything is connected correctly. I have switched out the audio/video feed cables. I have hooked the cable box up directly to my tv to verify it is not an issue with the cable box. I am stumped. Tivo shows the guide & show information when I change channels and I can play back saved programs. I can get to Tivo Central no problem. It shows that it is recording my season passes but only records black screen since there is no video output. The screen will show the guide information and then go to the blue screen saying that it lost connection to the cable. The customer service rep last night said he thinks it is a bad audio/video port on Tivo and that I should get a replacement. Is there any way I can verify that this is what the problem is? Is there anything else you can think of for me to try? The only other thing that it might be is that the cable signal isn't strong enough. I just bought a condo and there is only one cable outlet. Cox is also not able to add another outlet (due to HOA restrictions). So, currently I have it spit 3 ways from the one outlet (with a booster). 1 goes to my living room cable (TIVO), 1 goes to my bedroom cable, and 1 goes to my office (high speed internet). Any advice on what I can do would be greatly appreciated. I feel lost without my Tivo. Thanks

It sounds to me like you've pretty much verified the bad video input on the TiVo, but here are some things to try:

1) confirm that the TiVo is "looking" at the correct video input port. are you sending it a/v? coax? svideo? it needs to know which input to record off of.

2) if you're concerned about a weak cable signal, maybe you can at least try to send the un-split signal directly to the tivo's coax input and see if that works

3) if the input you've chosen is not showing you picture, you could try a different input and see if that one works; just be sure to tell the TiVo through its settings menu where to look for that picture
    Last edited by WK-Jason; 09-12-2007, 03:14 PM.
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for such a quick reply. In response to your questions:

1. I am currently using a/v on the Tivo input. How do I confirm what Tivo is looking at? Is it in the settings area of TiVo Central?
      2. I did try connecting the cable directly to TiVo's coax input and it didn't make a difference.
      3. So, when you say chose a different input, does that mean I can connect my cable box to my Tivo box via coax or S video?

Sorry if these questions seem lame. I just want to make sure I completely understand so I don't waste another couple of hours trying to fix things.
      Thanks again.

Comment

1a) you'll have to navigate through the settings menu to fund the connection to tivo option
        2a) okay...just make sure that was the un-split signal
        3a) correct. you cable box, as well as your tivo, have a output/input options
        That's all there is to it!

Comment

Working...
        X