Hinesdale replacement HD won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hinesdale replacement HD won't boot

I replace the two drives in my series 1 (SVR 2000) with a new 200G drive according to instructions.

On powering up it is stuck on "your recorder is starting up please wiat a minute"

I tried unplugging main power with--no help.
    I opened up the box and reseated all cables/IDE-- no help
    I recheck all connections and went over instructions again-- no help.

The drive was warm to touch when I opened suggesting it was running??

Please help.

You've done the right stuff - best bet is to email Hinsdale and see if you can double-check that you ordered for the right model number.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, I have done that already and am awaiting a reply.

I put the old drives back in at it did power up though They are running terrible--as before I tried to "upgrade.

Will post again with more news.

Comment

Still no luck!

Over the weekend I tried troubleshooting in a variety of ways.

I put the old drives in, it booted and still ran poorly with lots of
        stuttering and pausing, as it did before the upgrade.

I have tried to install the new drive in both positions on the cable and
        tried another cable I had laying around but it still hangs up the the black screen and the message "Your recorder is starting up, please wait a minute"

Yesterday I put the original drives back in and the machine hung up with a message on a green screen that a serious fault had occurred and that I should wait three hours before calling TIVO to report the problem. This morning it was still hung on that screen, so I just unplugged the unit til we could figure out more to do.

I used a diagram from Maxtor to assess the jumper positions of the two
        drives I had. I am not sure it matters but it appeared to me that the
        30.7 g drive had jumpers set for Master (?cj?)And was on the middle of
        the IDE cable and the 80 G drive was set to slave and was at the end of
        the IDE cable. The new drive does appear to be set to the master position.

The folks at Hinesdale have been very responsive, but at this point I am stumped. In trouble shooting on this site I have begun to wonder whether there is a problem in the power supply and whether this is the primary issue or whether the drive(s) were bad too.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comment

Did you verify the model number with your seller? That's really the most likely cause of this problem, if the original drives still boot.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hinesdale request the drive back after I mentioned your suggestion. I await their findings and will post more later.

Thanks Michael

Comment

I received the drive back which they reformatted and tested. I installed and it booted perfectly! Don't know the problem with the original programming/formatting on the drive, but it seems to be fine now.

My thanks to Michael.

Comment

Working...
              X