No announcement yet.

Two Directivo units rebooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some units have it; others don't, so it seems. Of course, as with any software update, reboots can be drive problems, but it's probably best to wait and see a bit.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

My problem with the hard drive is similar. I will be watching playback on a recorded program when, at times, the picture will freeze, remote and buttons on the front of the unit will become completely unresponsive. The picture will then move forward frame by frame, with the "digitized" checkerboard look, then freeze again for about 30 seconds, then finally proceed without problems. One time, I got some audio off and on but no picture for about 20 seconds during one of the "freezes".

Although, I have completely ruled out this, it has the appearance of when a heavy storm or something else might temporarily blocks the signal to the sat. Couple that with the occasional rebooting.

DTV continues to ignore this issue in spite of my suggesting they visit several sites for support and confirmation of this complaint. however, all they seem interested in is leasing "their" receiver.

I will wait this out for awhile and sooner or later, buy a HD and hope this will correct the problem of freezing.

Comment

I've had two freeze ups on a DirecTv SD-DVR40 running the 6.3e software version as well. Like others, mine is running via a UPS. The freeze ups have not occurred during viewing. It's 4 yrs old running the OEM HD and a second HD. It sounds as if the consensus is that this is probably a software issue?
        Also, if I have to go the replacement HD route, do I understand correctly that I cannot keep my expansion (2nd) drive running?

Comment

You can make the expansion drive work with a replacement drive, but you'd need to use mfstools or send us the expansion drive, and we can do the work here.

And, yes, this does seem to be an "e" software issue.

Comment

I have 4 Tivos and a DirecTv DVR. My two newest Tivos, both from WK and both Philips (one original HDD and the other I swapped to a 160GB (I think) HDD also from WK.
            A week ago both my Philips started hanging, going to black screen, or re-booting at any given moment. They are all on APS power supply, including the multiplexor. My OLD SAT T-60 has no problem. My old Hughes has no problem. My sucky DirecTv DVR has no problem. None of these units have recent upgrades. My two new Philips have the 6.3e-01-2-101 software version. I believe this is the problem. And it blows, especially with the MLB playoffs starting. Any solutions? Thanks for your time.

Comment

Sorry to say, not too much to do except wait for an OS update.

Comment

I decided to try this and it worked. I have not turned off (standby) the DVR. No re-boot problems!

I did turn it off as a test. Shortly after I turned it back on, re-boot!

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have a Phillips DSR704 that has worked just fine until it was "upgraded" to the 6.3e software. Now I am getting the reboot issue that so many others are experiencing.

Just to be on the safe side on the off-chance it is actually the HDD going bad (and so I can have more storage), I ordered a 300GB from weaknees. I have not received the drive yet, but I have two questions related to the drive:

1. What OS version is installed on your replacement drives? I never had a problem with the 6.2 software and would like to go back to it if possible.

2. If your replacement drives use 6.2, is there a way to block DirecTV from installing the 6.3e software (or firmare, or whatever it is called) once it "sees" that I have an older version?

Thanks!

Comment

1 - For that model, 6.2x.

2 - Yes - just don't let it dial in after the first call to authorize the DVR service.

And don't put the unit in Standby!

Comment

Old post on rebooting revisited

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                      Branches interfering with the signal wouldn't cause reboots - it would have to be improper grounding and/or voltage problems on the lines. That's not very likely, but a potential common thread.

If two of the units are on UPSs, then that pretty much rules out power issues also.

You may just have been extremely unlucky.
                      This is an update to my old post:

I have since installed the new HD in my main unit, and I am still getting reboots on a fairly frequent basis, so I can't imagine that I'm having hard drive problems---4 HDs failing at the same time, and one of them new?? Not very likely.

That brings up the next question: If the only common thread between the three is grounding and/or voltage on the line, does anybody know how I can test that? I've visually inspected the ground wire at the dish and it appears to be intact and solid. Can I check both the grounding and line voltage with a digital multimeter? If so, I need directions. Thanks

Later: I just noticed all the replies after my last one, and I'm going to try the "no standby" route. I'll post again if if works---or even if it doesn't.
                      Last edited by bagman; 12-19-2007, 01:35 PM. Reason: Further comments

Comment

A new software version 6.2f is coming down for most DIRECTV units. It is too early to know whether the rebooting issue has been addressed, but you might want to watch out for it.

Comment

It has now been a month since I stopped putting my 3 DirecTivos in Standby, and I have not had a single re-boot on any of the 3 units since then. I appears that that is the answer to the problem.

(By the way, I am certain that they have not rebooted because every time one reboots, it wipes out the 30-second skip and the time display, and that has not happened for a month)

Comment

Have you gotten 6.3f for these units?

Comment

Sorry so long for the response, but I've been out of town. No, all three units are still on the 6.3e version.

Comment

Have you been forcing dial-ins?

Comment

Working...
                                X