Lights on, but no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights on, but no picture

I have a Philips DirecTV Tivo unit with an odd problem. I can call up the guide and info screens, which show the various live programs, but I have no picture. I don't think it's a power supply issue, because the lights on the front of the machine are on. I can reboot the unit and it works its way past the welcome screen, etc. fine, but it hasn't fixed the problem. I've also been able to verify (through the setup screen) that I have a strong signal from the satellite. Any ideas of what's causing this?

are you able to watch any of the previously recorded shows?
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Yes. That's the weird part.

Comment

So what about channel 200? That's the DTV test channel. Can you get that at all?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I am unable to receive a picture on any channel, including 200. When I change channels, the info banner and Tivo timeline briefly appear. Once they time out, then the screen goes black.

Comment

could be a bad access card. do you have a card from another unit you can insert just to see if the test channel comes up?

if not that, it could be something on the motherboard, since the tuners are giving you strong sat signal.

Comment

I'll try switching the access cards to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help.

Comment

cool. channel 200 is DTV's standard def test channel. let us know what happens!

Comment

As you suggested, the access card was bad. Once I switched it with another DVR in the house, I was able to get a picture on channel 200. I called DirecTv and ordered a replacement. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Great - it's strange, but for some reason we're seeing lots of DTV card failures recently.
                    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I also have access card problems. I have a H10-250. Started getting the message "Insert Valid Access Card" as a flash across the bottom of the screen. I only happened occasionally. Now I have a gray screen with no video. When I take the card out of another receiver I can get channel 201 for a few seconds then it blanks out.

I ordered a new card from DirecTv and tried to activate. Now the TiVo doesn't see the new card or any card I insert. This TiVo has a hardware problem. I'm going to check the power supply and see if anything obvious is wrong there.

What are the options for getting this poor hard working TiVo repaired?
                      Last edited by Cmed; 11-24-2007, 08:18 AM.

Comment

HR10-250 access card problems are often power supply related...I would start there.

Comment

Working...
                        X