Upgrade didn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade didn't work

I had both a TCD540040 and a TCD540080. I removed the smaller drive and discarded that unit. I purchased your upgrade kit and followed upgrade instructions #79 almost exactly (see below). When starting, there is a noticeable delay before the new fan comes on, but is as I expect and the TiVo restarts. The problem is that it still says I have 81 hours where I expected to see 120 hours.

I did connect the 40 GB drive to my PC and PartionMagic said that the space was unpartitioned and still in raw format. The drive was functioning but I did not partition or reformat the drive. Is that required?

When installing the IDE cable, the blue-grey section wasn't long enough to go from the motherboard (blue) directly to the B slave drive (40) (grey) and then to the A master drive (80) (black). It fits nicely with the grey and black connectors interchanged from the instructions but since the jumpers are set, that shouldn't matter -- Right?

What should I do next?

You cannot remove a drive from one TiVo and add it as a second drive to another. (That 40gb would have to be reprogrammed to work.)

Is that what you're trying to do?

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      You cannot remove a drive from one TiVo and add it as a second drive to another. (That 40gb would have to be reprogrammed to work.)

Is that what you're trying to do?
      Yes, I want to add it as a second drive. How is it any different than just buying a second drive? How can I "reprogram" it. I assume you mean that unix isn't smart enough to mount a second drive.

Comment

"Add" (second) drives are programmed completely differently than "replace" (original) drives. The drive is not programmed to work as a second drive, so it can't be.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
          "Add" (second) drives are programmed completely differently than "replace" (original) drives. The drive is not programmed to work as a second drive, so it can't be.
          Yes, I understand that. I'm asking where I can get information about how to "program" the drive to work as a second drive.

The words "it can't be" are clearly incorrect. Somebody knows how to place the proper information on the drive, even if you don't.
          Last edited by bb30994; 10-19-2007, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Since you have posted in the "Interactive TiVo Upgrade Instructions" category, perhaps you have already visited that site, but if not, you can find instructions for what you want there. See:

http://www.upgrade-instructions.com

Comment

Working...
            X