mismatch in header- corrupt file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mismatch in header- corrupt file

I am trying to follow the upgrade instructions to change my single 80 g drive to 200 g. I would rate myself as a computer destructor- seem to do things no one else can.
    I made the data image on a small ( 540 meg drive newly formatted as FAT 32) then transfered it to the new drive and tested in Tivo.. Seemed O.K.
    When I reinstalled the new drive in PC and tried to move files via mfs backup | restore I get an error saying:second mfs drive: no such file or directoy
    second mfs drive2: illegal seek....
    mfs load_volume_header: Total sectors (155366400) mismatch with volume header (6084864)]mfs load header: loading anyway.
    mfs load zone map: Primary zone map corrupt, loading backup
    mfs load zone map: secondary zone corrupt , giving up.
    I did mfs add as instructed and it shows increase to 329 hours ( before I tried the transfer)
    My new 200 g is primary master hda
    my original Tivo disk 80 gig is pri slave hdb
    my cdrom is secondary master hdc
    my 540 FAT 32 drive is secondary slave hdd.
    I did umount after the transfer before shuuting down the computer to move drive for testing- was this an error?
    Have I destroyed all my recored programs?
    What next- I have never used Linux before- took my winodws XP drive out of primary master before I started. Have other computers available to download and burn programs if I need to.
    I do not understand most Linux syntax.
    Dave

Sounds like your old drive is having problems. Have you tested it with the manufacturer's diagnostics?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

testing

no idea how to do that. I remounted the new drive in Tivo after it said it did a transfer using dd .

Now Tivo cycles through grey powering up and almost there screen, then goes back to powering up.

Can I do a restore of the system from the FAT 32 disk onto new drive ?
      That worked before I tried to cupy data.

If that works can I then transfer data from my TIVO desktop 2.3a back to the new drive or should I pull new drive and reformat it before proceeding? This is s series 2 TCD240080 .

Comment

Info on testing your drive is here. If you are now having endless rebooting, that's very likely a bad drive.

If the old drive works, you can copy your recordings off, then put in a new, working, formatted drive, then copy the recordings back, yes.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X