Added 2nd drive, hanging on "Welcome, Powering Up..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added 2nd drive, hanging on "Welcome, Powering Up..."

I added a second drive with the Hindsdale kit (to a Hughes HDVR2 Tivo). It's hanging on the "powering up" screen. (How long is typical on this screen? I did trying waiting for a few hours but no luck...). I've tried taking everything apart, reseating everything including the jumper on the master disk.

The instructions say the jumper for the master disk goes on the far left set of vertical pins (I have 4 vertical sets, its a Maxtor drive). I assume that's right; it was prior to adding the 2nd disk on one of the middle two (I forget which, but I may try moving it back and disconnecting the new drive just to get the thing working again).

All power cables are definitely hooked up and seated, and the IDE cables are definitely hooked up right and seated.

Any suggestions? The directions said to not touch the jumpers on the new disk, and I haven't, but how should they be so I can check them just to be sure they were set wrong from "the factory"?

Frustrating to spend several hundred and get...a non-booting Tivo!

-Kevin

The new drive should be set as "slave." Did it arrive that way?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Put in jumpers to config new/slave to "slave"; no luck!

It's a Diamond 10 Maxtor drive, and from what I can find on the Maxtor site, there should be one jumpers to put it into a slave configuration. However, it has NO jumpers. The upgrade documentation says (and I quote) DO NOT MAKE ANY JUMPER CHANGES TO ANY DRIVE(S) THAT YOU RECEIVE IN YOUR UPGRADE KIT. However, there weren't any jumpers on the drive to change.

I do not that in some other Maxtor documentation, it says slave mode is enabled with no jumpers, seemingly contradicting the detailed jumper guide on their site.

So now I've tried putting on a single jumper as shown on the Maxtor site for the Diamond 10 to put it into slave mode...still no luck.

Frustrating...

Next I guess I'd wonder if the IDE cable they sent has a problem?? Is there some way to be sure the power cables are all functional?

I'm thinking of reconfiguring the whole box and seeing if I can get the new large drive working as a single drive; can I do that leaving it where it is and connecting it to the end of the IDE cable that has the two connectors, and configuring it for "cable select" via jumper? Or do I need to change the IDE cable to a single ended one? (That requires pulling back out the bracket...).

Similarly, can I use the long cable, keep one end disconnected from the new drive, configure the jumper on the old primary drive back to cable select, and thereby ensure that I have broken anything fundamental in the box? If I can't use the long cable with one connecter unplugged, again I've got to rebuild the whole box.

Thank for the help!!

-Kevin

Comment

Right - a Maxtor as a slave should have no jumper (or a horizontal jumper, which is a storage position).

You can't reconfigure to use just the new drive since it was formatted as an 'add' drive.

Yes, you can put the unit back to just the master by changing the jumper and just using the black and blue cable ends.

Comment

Back to original...still dead!

I've now moved my Hughes Tivo back back to exactly how it was before installing the upgrade kit, including removing the added bracket, going back to the original power cable without the extender, going back to the original IDE cable. I don't remember which of the 3 "non-left-most" positions the jumper was in before I moved it to the left most as directed in the kit...but I've tried all three and it fails in all three positions. "Welcome. Powering up...".

So for $180, I bought myself a dead Tivo box. I can't figure what I would have broken...I'm reasonably handy with PC's, cables etc, and I was careful. But it appears to be toast. (I guess I haven't tried it w/o any jumper, but there was absolutely a jumper on the disk when I first took it apart.)

I'm down to last straws, meaning "buy a new tivo box". One with a larger disk...

Comment

Or you can email us ([email protected]) and we can tell you how to send us the unit for reformatting and testing.

Comment

Any luck? I was trying to add an additional drive to my Hughes HDRV2 and got the same response. After a while, I put the original HDRV2 back together and with the original drive and cables....same Powering Up message. Very frustrated....any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by bhayes159 View Post
                Any luck? I was trying to add an additional drive to my Hughes HDRV2 and got the same response. After a while, I put the original HDRV2 back together and with the original drive and cables....same Powering Up message. Very frustrated....any suggestions?
                Can you tell us what you were doing with your add drive? Did you use Linux, or was it a drive kit?

Comment

Working...
                X