Series 3 upgrade question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 upgrade question

Sorry if this is a question that's been asked 20 times, but assuming I have a new SATA drive, a computer that will accomodate two SATA drives, and a bootable CD drive... is weaknees_sata.iso all I need to format the new drive and transfer the system and contents of the existing drive to the new drive?

If not, what else do I need?

Also, any pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks...

Yes, that should do it. Just use the instructions here:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Michael... everything worked perfectly. Since I connected the original drive to SATA0 and the new drive to SATA1 on my motherboards, the original drive was sda and the new drive was sdb - not a surprise to most, I'm sure. But I think that you guys ought to add a reference to the cat command describing how people doing their own upgrades can use that to be sure which drive is which.

Up to a full terabyte, now. And my Series 3 that had given up trying to record TiVo Suggestions weeks ago due to space limitations on my old 250 GB drive recorded *25* suggestions over the weekend.

I got a good laugh out of that.

Now I can keep the three HD LOTR movies and all of Firefly HD on my TiVo without crippling it!

Thanks again...

Comment

Glad it worked!

We probably do need something there to help with drive IDs.

Comment

Hi Michael,

I've been shoe-horned in with 1TB drives on each of my Series 3 boxes for too long (three children has resulted in a lot of Disney, Chipmunks, Dr. Seuss, Peanuts, etc. on Never Delete staus) and am getting ready to expand them both. Is 2TB the limiting HD size or can I put larger drives in the Series 3 boxes? At the moment I don't want to add external drives (less safe with rugrats around!).

Also, is the Premiere XL4 limited to one internal drive as well, and do you know what the single drive size limit on the Premiere XL4 is?

Thanks.

Comment

Yup - on the Series3 units, 2 TB is the max.

The Series4 can go to 4 TB - two drives of 2 TB each.

Comment

Hi again. I saw some discussion around that 2GB is the max for a Series 3, but that is only possible directly with a 1TB internal and 1TB external drive. According to what I saw I *can* get a specially modded 2GB internal drive here or from a guy on ebay (I won't name him directly since he's a business competitor) and that it's therefore not possible to transfer the old system/settings/recordings since it's a simple swap - old drive for new.

Can you confirm that, or is that old information?

Thanks again.

PS. I like some of the features of the Premiere - especially the two-internal drive and 4 simultaneous tuner capabilities - but I REALLY would miss the OLED display of the Series 3. True enough that a lot of shows/channels don't braodcast the data, but I really like seeing the name of those shows that do on the display when I'm watching those. I think it was a huge mistake to drop the OLED display.

Comment

We sell 2TB drives as well for Series3 units, but it does require special software and the weaknees iso doesn't do it. You can send it to us if you want it programmed, however. See:

www.weaknees.com/misc.php

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the unending questions. I want to be sure I'm understanding that page correctly:

For $95 you will prep a >1TB drive for a Series 3 and for an additional $35 you'll copy the settings and programming from the original drive. I send you the original drive and include the TiVo model number. I send the drive only, not the TiVo. You ship back my original drive and the new drive to install in my TiVo.

Is that correct?

Does the $95 include the cost of the new hard drive? I assume not. If not, do I buy the drive from you (I assume that's the obvious option) but can I also purchase my own replacement drive and ship it along with my original? Either way, can you confirm the absolute largest total partition space I can achieve (2.2TB, 2.35TB)? I want to be sure because if I'm going to take this route I want to make sure I'm getting the right drive to get the maximum program space. Spending a few extra tens of dollars and ending up with some unused partition space on the drive is definitely the preferred route if I'm going to take my units down for more than an hour or two.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Comment

The price does not include the drive; we have kits for that. See the web page for your specific model number, here:

www.weaknees.com/upgrades.php

The max is 2TB.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

So, I still think I'm a little confused. It looks like if I want a 2TB drive in a TiVo series 3 with my programming and settings preserved you're saying:

1. Buy the 2TB drive at $249.99 (is that already set to install in the TiVo?)
                      2. Buy the $95.00 "prep" fee.
                      3. Buy the $35.00 service to copy programming/settings onto the new drive.

Do I have that right? Isn't the "prep" step redundant after purchasing the replacement drive in step 1, or is that just a bare drive? If it's just a bare drive, can I send my own?

Thanks again.

Comment

Nope - sorry.

Buy the drive kit for $249.99 and in the same order add the $79 Deluxe Professional Upgrade Service.

Then we'll email you info for sending your unit to us. Once we get it, we'll do the copy to the 2 TB drive, install it in your unit, and ship it back to you.

Comment

Wow. Don't think I'd be willing to give up either of my TiVos for that long. What about ordering the $249.99 drive kit from you and copying the progams and settings myself once it's here? I know I don't have the ability to override the 1TB limit myself with any tools that are publicly available and am glad to pay for that, but shouldn't I still be able to read from/write to the drive once it's formatted?

Thanks again.

Comment

To do the copy yourself, you'd have to transfer shows to your PC, swap drives, and transfer them back.

Comment

Working...
                            X