Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HR10-250: stock drive died; how can I get the OS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR10-250: stock drive died; how can I get the OS?

So I've read the instructions here and elsewhere. I'm confident I can buy a hard drive and manipulate it in any way necessary to get my HR10 working again. The problem is that, since the stock drive is actually dead, I can't copy the OS off of it to dump to the new drive. Is there some place on the Internet where I can download an ISO of the HR10's OS?

Yeah, I know I could buy a drive from weaknees with the OS already on it. But they charge $349 for a 500gb drive, and I don't even get to pick what kind of drive I want. I can buy a Seagate 7200.10 500gb drive for $199. I don't fancy paying weaknees $150 for the OS. (Sorry weaknees. You guys rock, but that's a rather large markup, wouldn't you say? I would happily buy my own drive and ship it to weaknees if they'd put the OS on it. I'd pay, perhaps, $50 for something like that. Just not $150! Alternatively, I'd pay for the HR10's OS on CD from somewhere...)

Our drives are a bit different from regular drives - they're DVR specific.

We don't know where you can obtain the image online. TiVo pretty much doesn't allow that, so they crack down on sites posting images. But we can format the drive for you here.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

DVR specific drives & formatting service

If I buy one of these DVR specific drives (Seagate DB35 or Maxtor) and the TIVO drive upgrade fails, I figure that I could just plop the new hard drive into my PC and use it for data storage. Are these DVR specific hard drives compatible for use in a Windows XP PC?

You refer to your service of "formatting" the drive. What does that mean? Does this put the OS onto the drive?

Comment

Yes, DVR drives can be used in PCs.

By 'formatting' we really mean programming the drive with the proper software so that it will function in your specific TiVo model.

Comment

Working...
        X