Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Dying Drive

Philips DSR7000

My Seagate 120GB drive lasted for several years, but is quickly failing. It will work well for about 5 minutes, then the screen pauses or gets choppy, eventually followed by a reboot.

Using the weaknees boot CD, I tried to copy my 120GB to a 160GB. It failed because the 120GB had already been upgraded from a 40GB. So I figured that out. So I then tried a 120GB to a 120GB and it failed with the same error, possibly because the reported size was not identical? (120,xxx vs 122,xxx). I then tried the Hinsdale dd to copy the 120GB to the 120GB and it finished but the Tivo never got passed the "powering up" screen.

I'm going to use the 160GB and I'll just have to lose my recored shows. Should I use the copy command that will move the OS and settings from the 120GB to the 160GB? Or am I better off getting a CD with the clean OS on it to setup the 160GB? I'm concerned that the issue on my 120GB drive will replicate itself onto the 160GB drive if I copy OS and settings.

I will note that the Tivo with the failing 120GB drive in it boots fine, it just has issues when it gets there.

Thanks!

You should be able to copy the 120 onto the 160 using dd, but you won't be able to get the extra 40gb space.

Comment

similar

Thanks for all your help! I'm sure this keeps you busy.

I am having a similar issue as the one above.

I believe my make a backup image of my current TiVo HDD (Upgraded from 40 to 120 several years ago by a friend) to CD or DVD in the evet that my TiVo HDD fails.

How can I easily accomplish this?

When i tried to perform a backup earlier today for a few hours, i got a VERY long error message and gave up. Something about not enough memory... my destination HDD for the backup was a SATA 250GB drive so I know there was no memory issue.

Any thoughts?

As a side note, when I entered the backup command as instructed:

"mfsbackup -f -1so /mnt/........" i got an error message. I changed it to "mfsbackup -f -1 -so /mnt/...." and made some progress. what may have been happening?

Comment

That doesn't look like the right backup command. Where is that coming from?

Comment

Jeff: Thank you for you reply.

I got that command from http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/index.php

Selected:

-Click to Start TiVo upgrade
          -TiVo 240140 [Don't know if this is a correct option as I am trying to ame a backup of a TiVo that was previously upgraded from 40hrs ro 120hrs]
          -Replace with one drive
          -Do you want to make a backup: Yes
          -Do you have a FAT partition on your C drive: No
          -Are you using Windows XP or Windows 2000: Yes
          -Save or disregard recordings: Ignore
          -Are you moving this software from one TiVo to another: No
          -Do you have TiVo OS 7.1 or later? Yes

Question: What does the "9999" represent in the command?

Again, in the end all I want is a CD backup of my TiVo drive so that I can be prepared if my lifetime service TiVo takes a turn south. I didn't but the most quality HDD when I upgraded.
          Last edited by smilingburgers; 12-30-2007, 01:18 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Originally posted by smilingburgers View Post
            Jeff: Thank you for you reply.

I got that command from http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/index.php

Question: What does the "9999" represent in the command?
            The -9999 is critical; without it, your backup will fail. It tells the tool to backup streams of a certain size, but not ones that are larger.

Comment

Thanks again!

Some additional info and questions:

-Weaknees lba TiVo upgrade CD -- SATA edition

Durring the backup:

"Source drive size in 40 hours
              -upgraded to 127 hours
              Backup image with be 40 hours
              uncompressed backup size: 1022 megabytes"

Does this mean that the image I create will only be for a 40-hr TiVo?

Also, in that command line I typed, where does it specify where the backup shold be put? in old DOS commands using xcopy would ask that we specify the copy from where to where eg xcopy a: c:.

After the backup is created I cannot see it on my HDD when I boot in Windows. How can I get the .iso (or .bak) onto a CD so that I can preserve it for a very long time? and not worry.
              Last edited by smilingburgers; 12-30-2007, 02:13 PM. Reason: fixed my bad spelling...

Comment

The image size is always the size of a factory drive for that unit, and can be expanded when restored.

The last drive designation is the destination drive, but it sounds like you are making a backup, not a new drive. But as far as I can see, you never posted your full command in the thread, so I can't tell.
                Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I used:

mfsbackup -f999 -1so /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hda

hda= master TiVo drive.

Looking at my destination dirve in window i cannot see any files but can see that some of the drive is used. So i assuem that winds cannot see the files but recognizes that there is data on it taking space.

Comment

Windows should be able to see the file. Are you looking in your root directory?

That command just makes a backup. It doesn't write it to a new drive. You'd need something like this next:

Code:
                    mfsrestore -r 4 -xpzi /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hdc

Comment

Thanks I'll try that. I didn't do that part!

Where is that in the instructions on the website? Did i just completely ignore it? I'm looking at the instructions and dont see it. I also realize that I am using these commands for something slightly different than a copy from one drive to the next for use of a new drive in a TiVo.

Comment

You'd have to choose one of the options to restore from an image file to generate that code.

Comment

OK here is where I am not connecting the dots in my brain (sorry if I am not catching on):

After I issue the following command to create the backup:"mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hda"

How do I write the backup file (called "backup.bak") to my SATA drive (also connected while booted in Linux? Additionaly, where does that file go before I have designated where to write it, limbo?

Earlier you said something about the following command, but wont that restore the backup to the new drive? "mfsrestore -r 4 -zxpi /mnt/backup.bak /dev/ata1"

I just want the backup file saved and stored away and not put onto a new hard drive. What steps do I need to change or add?

Again I just want to backup the TiVo HDD (hda) before I give it to my parents so if they break it I can resotre it to a new HDD.
                          Last edited by smilingburgers; 01-01-2008, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Your first command should just store the image. It puts it on the mounted volume, and it's called backup.bak.

Comment

then how do I get that image to a CD for later use?

Comment

Working...
                              X