Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie's First time upgrade

Hi all
    I am trying to replace a series2 40GB HD with a 200GB HD partitioned into 2 100 GB each using the instructions at weaknees.com.
    After booting up with the Weaknees CD, the first command I issue at the weaknees# prompt is: mount /dev/hda1 /mnt - results in an error
    kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k nls_cp437 ,errno =2
    kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k nls-iso8859-1, errno=2
    with the last line repeating 2 more times.
    If I now attempt to mount hda2, I get a different error(this partition has NO system files).
    If I now attempt to mount hda1 again, I get the following message:
    mount: /dev/hda1 already mounted or /mnt busy
    mount: according to mtab, /dev/hda1 is already mounted on /mnt
    what am I doing wrong that results in the error messages?
    Is it safe to continue?
    TIA
    JerryR

It may be OK to go ahead, but, first, how are you expecting to partition the 200 GB drive into two areas, and why?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Michael.
      Thanks for the quick reply.
      I partitioned it with Max Blast4, and was warned that formating the full drive(Larger than 137GB) could result in a problem later on.
      Should I attempt to format the full drive regardless of the warning?
      TIA
      JerryR
      Last edited by JerryR; 11-29-2007, 06:04 AM. Reason: Edit

Comment

For a Series2 TiVo, it's not an issue.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hi
          OK, Repartitioned and formatted as a 200GB single partition, still getting the same error as before(kmode: failed to exec......) and on second try I'm still told that dev/hda1 is mounted.
          What am I doing wrong?
          TIA
          JerryR

Comment

I just wanted to post and say that I'm hitting the same "kmod: failed to exec" issue as others have posted on a few posts here. And I've used the exact same computer in the past to do Tivo upgrades, but using the Hinsdale tools rather than the weaKnees ones. So given the # of reports on this forum, it seems like the weaKnees linux build has issues with certain drivers.

Any idea if this can be fixed? If Hinsdale is able to do it, it means the correct drivers must be out there?

Comment

I just wanted to let you know that I found WK-Michael's suggestion on a similar forum post (http://www.wkforums.com/forums/showt...failed+to+exec) to try the SATA drive ISO (http://www.weaknees.com/weaknees_sata.iso). Sure enough, I no longer got the "kmod: failed to exec" problem with my CD-ROM, and it worked fine (even though I had only IDE drives and no SATA drives). It did give me one warning message when I did the mount and mfsbackup, saying something about the options I was using are old and will be obsoleted sometime in the future, but that didn't prevent it from correctly created a backup. I was then able to restore from the backup onto a new 500GB Seagate DB35 drive, and my Tivo is up and running just fine!

So I guess as long as the SATA ISO software doesn't obsolete the commands (or if Weaknees would provide alternative instructions for us IDE folks), then this seems like a good solution for anyone encountering this error.

Comment

Working...
              X