Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just can not get mfsbackup/mfsrestore to work

Steps I did:

Had original 40GB hard drive. Used this forum 2 years ago to add 2nd 80gb drive to system... It has been working fine for 2 years... Want to upgrade to single 250GB drive...

Created boot disk, great, that comes up as /dev/hdc

/dev/hda is original 40GB drive
    /dev/hdb is original 80GB drive

/dev/hdd is new 250GB drive

type:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

get:

Scanning source drive, please wait a moment
    source drive size is 40 hours
    - upgraded to 127 hours
    uncompressed backup size is: 113334 megabytes
    Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself.

When booting, linux reports hdd as:

hdd: 488397168 sectors (250059mb) w/8192 Kib cache
    hdd: hdd1

I have tried create a FAT partition (2GB) on the 250GB drive, a FAT32 partions on the 250GB drive... Pretty much all combinations of formatting it first, not formatting it at all and so on...

Any idea what I need to do to the 250GB drive to get this to work???

Thanks!

Stephen

The problem is that you can only get two sets of media partitions on each drive. So you are trying to put three one: the original one from the 40, the second one from the 80, and the extra space on the 250. You can either to go two drives, lose recordings, or not use the extra space on the 250.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      The problem is that you can only get two sets of media partitions on each drive. So you are trying to put three one: the original one from the 40, the second one from the 80, and the extra space on the 250. You can either to go two drives, lose recordings, or not use the extra space on the 250.
      Wow, interesting learnings on this subject!

1) So there is no way to move up to a higher capacity drive in this situation (meaning keep recordings)?? Can I pay to have it done or is it just not possible???

2) If I believe that my 2 drive set up is having problems (we are getting pauses and sound drops on playback), is the only way to move to the 250GB drive to not use the extra space???

3) If 2 is my only option, what commands would I issue to /dev/hdd to make the mfsbackup/mfsrestore work???

Thanks again!

Stephen

Comment

From reading another post with what appears to be my exact issue (sorry, not sure why when I searched, I did not see it):

For me then to take my 2 drives (40GB and 80GB) and combine onto one drive, keep recordings and not expand (use only 120GB of the 250GB drive), I would do the following:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -zpi - /dev/hdd

???

Comment

Right - that will work, without the "x" as you have it, but you won't get any expansion in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
            Right - that will work, without the "x" as you have it, but you won't get any expansion in that case.
            Ok, that worked great! But, we still have the same problem. I thought it was a bad hard drive, but we see the same problem with the new drive in the old unit. Basically when recording on "antenna" 2, it is blocky and the sounds cuts off. If I remove the cable from antenna 2, all is ok..... I have switched cables to make sure that it is indeed the unit and not the cables... All points to the unit...

So, I have another unit (exact same model). Can I do the following:

mfsbackup -f 9999 -so - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

To restore only my settings?? If so, then I simply put in this new unit, call DirecTV to reset my access card and start fresh (no copy recordings)???

Comment

Yes, that should restore your settings, but if you move the drive to another unit, you'll need to do a "clear and delete everything" to get the drive to work in the new unit, so there's really no need to reformat first.

Comment

Booted into windows problem

hello,

Well I was trying to upgrade my tivo which is a Humax DRT800 with an 80gb hd and while getting started I forgot to put boot cd in tray and it booted into windows before I realized it wasnt in there. without doing anything else I stopped my computer and booted again with the cd in to commence backup.

I believe I must restore the drive to its original condition before my backup and need more detailed assistance on how to proceed with it.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Srvcm

Comment

I checked drive and it my original drive is working. Dont ask me how but it is back up . The upgrade hard drive i dont know if it upgraded. will have to get some study before I attempt again.

Comment

OK - great. For future reference, the software you would have needed is called "MakeTiVoBootable."

Comment

Working...
                    X