Help I booted my Tivo Drive in Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help I booted my Tivo Drive in Windows

I booted my failing Tivo drive in Windows and need to figure out if I should attempt to restore my backup which was done after I booted it in Windows to my new replacement drive that I received from Hinsdale Upgrade drive kit. I don't know if doing this will blow the new drives boot sector as well. Also is there anyone who can provide some beginner instructions to assist in using the Tivo boot fixer program?

Thanks

You should find everything you need here.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

does that mean that I have to make my old drive bootable before I restore my recordings to the new drive?

Also, I guess that I have 2 options, (1) I just put in the new drive and start over and (2) try to fix the boot partition on my old drive back up the data again, and then restore to the new drive. Is this correct?

Are there any dumbed down instructions on performing this boot fix procedure? I'm really weak when it comes to Linux.

Thanks

Comment

is the make it bootable program execuited in Windows or Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by jds1 View Post
          does that mean that I have to make my old drive bootable before I restore my recordings to the new drive?

Also, I guess that I have 2 options, (1) I just put in the new drive and start over and (2) try to fix the boot partition on my old drive back up the data again, and then restore to the new drive. Is this correct?

Are there any dumbed down instructions on performing this boot fix procedure? I'm really weak when it comes to Linux.

Thanks
          You can't do 1 if you don't do 2, as far as I understand your situation. If you have no image to use to backup to the new drive, you can't just go to the new drive.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1 View Post
            is the make it bootable program execuited in Windows or Linux?
            Linux - but it's pretty straightforward.

Comment

I just found this thread and it came just in time. I also zapped the boot sector on my Tivo drive by running XP and I need help restoring it. I downloaded the MakeTivoBootable file but since I don't know Linux I need some assistance running it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X