No announcement yet.

Series 3 Dropouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely try using the other tuner. That should determine whether or not it's a tuner issue or a signal issue.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

more info

I had more time to look at it this afternoon. The second tuner also has the problem when on other channels, and when I look at the Diagnostic page, I can see the "signal level" go blank and bounce around between 74, 86, 92, etc, and "signal lock" change to "NO".

I guess this means it's a signal level issue. Complicating the troubleshooting, one tuner may be slightly better dealing with the low signal.

It was definitly happening on a variety of channels including Bloomburg, some HD, and some SD.

I guess my next step is Comcast. I hate the idea of waiting around for them, but I'm glad my beloved Tivo may not be to blame. Although it seems really strange that the signal level varies so much over time, and by channel.

z

Comment

Same trouble, checked out by Cox

I've had the same trouble on several channels. Signal starts out good, but after a couple minutes starts going bad. Had Cox come and check it out. The signal is pixilating and audio dropping out. Tivo shows signal dropping and coming back. The Cox meter on the line shows a strong signal throughout. Cox says it is a tuner problem, not cable card.

Comment

Originally posted by Heathdc View Post
          I've had the same trouble on several channels. Signal starts out good, but after a couple minutes starts going bad. Had Cox come and check it out. The signal is pixilating and audio dropping out. Tivo shows signal dropping and coming back. The Cox meter on the line shows a strong signal throughout. Cox says it is a tuner problem, not cable card.
          Sounds like they're right. Is the unit from us?

Comment

cut outs

Has anyone talked to Tivo about this issue? Frankly after paying $800 for a Series 3, I dont think I should have to block channels or worry about which tuner is stronger.

Comment

I think TiVo would swap it out, as would we . . . No one is suggesting you'd have to live with the problems.

Comment

Series 3 Dropouts

So is the general feeling it's not a Tivo software issue that will be corrected by a new release? I get both the sound drop outs as well as pixelation in the middle of a recorded show..in fact on occasion it pixelates then skips further in the show so that I miss part of it. I was almost thinking that perhaps there was a problem on the hard disk of the unit...is there a way to have the unit do a disk scan and block any bad sectors? I remember on my old series 1 there was a code you could enter and it would scan and reformat the disk.

Comment

We haven't seen it to be a temporary problem associated with a specific software version, no.

Comment

Working...
                  X