Original Drive I think is dying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Drive I think is dying.

I have a Samsung 4120 Directv DVR that will periodically freeze. If I unplug and restart it will work for a few days then freeze again. Any suggestions? can I just copy the hard drive or what?

You can copy the hard drive to a new one, if you want. Chances are, it'll still copy over OK since it largely works. Info is here:

http://www.upgrade-instructions.com

If you want a kit from us that you can just pop-in (it's preformatted and you don't need to do any computer work on it) go here:

http://www.weaknees.com/ssg1.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

If I get it from you don't I lose the programming that is on the original drive? Also, would it help if I add a drive the current dying drive?

Comment

I have more questions. I was looking at the replacement instructions and my question is, Why can't I just use the Maxblaster 4 to copy the old drive to the new drive attached to the open secondary ide controller in my PC with the old drive connected to the secondary primary position and the new drive connected to the secondary slave? It seems as if the Maxblaster software would allow that. Next queston, Can I use the add on drive that I just bought from Weaknees 160gb for my samsung sir 4120 DVR?

Comment

Originally posted by jamescass View Post
          If I get it from you don't I lose the programming that is on the original drive? Also, would it help if I add a drive the current dying drive?
          Yes, you'll lose what you have, and no, adding a drive won't help. The TiVo OS is on the primary drive, so if you add a drive, and the primary crashes, the second can't run the TiVo.

Comment

Originally posted by jamescass View Post
            I have more questions. I was looking at the replacement instructions and my question is, Why can't I just use the Maxblaster 4 to copy the old drive to the new drive attached to the open secondary ide controller in my PC with the old drive connected to the secondary primary position and the new drive connected to the secondary slave? It seems as if the Maxblaster software would allow that. Next queston, Can I use the add on drive that I just bought from Weaknees 160gb for my samsung sir 4120 DVR?
            Assuming the drive works well enough for the copy, you can copy the data over, but not with MaxBlast. If you want to try the copy, use the info here:

http://www.upgrade-instructions.com

Comment

Can I use the add on drive that I just bought from Weaknees 160gb for my samsung sir 4120 DVR?

Comment

Once you add a drive to a TiVo, you cannot then remove the drive and add it to another. You would need to reprogram the drive you pull out before it can be used in any other unit.

Comment

I have not added it yet it is still in the box.

Comment

Then if it was an "add" kit, that should be no problem.

Comment

I am having trouble making the linux boot cd. I have downloaded the file and burned it to a cd and configured my bios to boot from the cdrom, but no luck. I am using nero to burn the cd. Any suggestions?

Comment

Are you just putting the file on the CD, or are you burning the file as a disc image?

Comment

I think as a disc image

Comment

Thanks for the help but I decided to bag trying to do it myself, I just shipped it to you guys after buying a replacement drive and the deluxe professional upgrade. I am hoping you guys can copy it for me.

Comment

We'll give it our best shot!

Comment

Working...
                              X