Verizon FIOS DVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon FIOS DVR

I have been a long time Direct TV/Tivo user. I love TIVO and the way it operates. However I have Verizon FIOS for my Internet and they are offering a great deal on there TV service which includes a lot of HI-DEF programing.

Obviously I would have to switch over to their DVR's.
    Has anyone had any experience with Verizon FIOS TV or there DVR's.
    How do they compare to a Direct TV/TIVO (Series 2) system?[/SIZE]

Actually, using Verizon FiOS with a TiVo Series3 or TiVo HD and CableCARDs is really amazing! It's like an integrated DirecTV/TiVo - one box does it all.

See these links:

HD TiVos for Cable

and

CableCARD and TiVo info
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

FIOS and TiVo

Michael, I see references to TiVo and Fios but the answers all refer to "cable cards". I have a series two TCD140060. I am about to buy a upgrade kit from you to solve a problem we are having. My guess is that Fios TV will be available to us in about 6 months to a year. So, do I fix my current problem with the new drive or buy a TiVo Series3 or TiVo HD and CableCARDs ? Right now we are on Dish Network.

Eventually I'd like as basic a setup as I'll need to use TiVo and Fios HD. What's the answer ?

Thanks,

bob watson

Comment

The Series3 and TiVo HD won't work with Dish at all, so don't get that now. But when FiOS comes out, that's the best move.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

What's new about Verizon FIOS and Tivo?

I am considering switching to Verizon FIOS TV to save a pretty significant amount wiith their bundles. However, I am currently a DirectTV subscriber and love my DirectTivo units (one of which has an upgraded hard drive from weaknees) so much that I am not switching to HD on most of my sets.

I want to be able to maintain my current viewing experience as much as possible - switching between two tuners easily, etc.

I have searched the forums for information about this, and everything I found seems to be from 2007 and 2008. CableCARDS and Tivo unitsseemed like they might be the way to go, at least at that time. I've never had a standalone Tivo, just a DirectTivo, so I din't even know how they might differ.

Can anyone provide a reccomendation as to whether I can keep the DirectTivo features I love while switching to Verizon Fios, and what I will need to buy for each TV set? The more basic you break it down, the better!

Thanks!

Comment

HD TiVos with FiOS are the way to go; you will need a TiVo at each TV and you will need a TiVo subscription for each TiVo.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
              HD TiVos with FiOS are the way to go; you will need a TiVo at each TV and you will need a TiVo subscription for each TiVo.
              Jeff, thank you for that quick response. I would appreciate some guidance on a few follow-up questions. If I go with this, it will involve a pretty large inital outlay to get the boxes for mutliple sets, so I dont want to make a decision I'll regret.

You did not mention a cablecard, and I see from the FCC website that even using a cablecard at this point I might also still need to have a verizon set-top box to get certain services.

1. The FCC site says:

If you want to receive certain advanced digital cable services like pay-per-view, video-on-demand, cable operator enhanced program guide, or interactive data enhanced television service, using a first generation set, you will need a set-top box. You may also need a set-top box to receive other cable operator-provided services, such as those that incorporate the features of a personal video recorder.
              I've highlighted some of the language that especially concerns me.

If I have a Tivo HD and a cablecard, will I still need a Verizon receiver, and if so, for what purposes? Most importantly, will my Tivo program guide and DVR features be fully functional throught the Tivo unit?

2. The weaknees page about Tivo and cablecards says:

A new type of CableCARD is emerging that can decode two streams of encrypted cable signal at once. These are knows as M cards or multistream cards. With an M card, one card is sufficient to allow a compatible DVR to record two separate channels at once. Currently, only the TiVo HD is compatible with this feature of an M card. A Series3 TiVo can use an M card, but only to record one channel at a time. So for a Series3 unit, you’d need two M cards installed to have the ability to record two channels at once. If/when the Series3 units can receive two streams through one M card, notice should be posted on the TiVo M card support page.
              Assuming Verizon has M cards, which I guess I should check, I understand this to say that if I have a Tivo HD, one M card will give me full dual-tuner functionality. If I have a Series 3, then I can still get the same functionality, but I would need 2 M cards per unit, which I suppose why the have 2 Cablecard slots? Is this understanding correct?

3. Last question (at least for now). This one is probably pretty obtuse. My pet feature of DirectTivo is the ability to pause one channel, push a single button to switch tuners and watch another channel, pause that one and go back to the first channel, which will be just where I left it paused, with the same buffer of recorded material that will allow me to rewind if I want to. Is this a feature of all Tivos, or is it a DirectTivo feature only? I did not realize how much I used this feature until I switched to a DirectTV HD unit, lost it, and have to use a cumbersome and limited workaround.

Comment

1. You will not use a Verizon box if you have an HD TiVo and CableCARDs.
                2. 1 M card for TiVoHD and TiVoHD XL. If you get the older-style, original Series3, you'll use 2 M cards.
                3. You will have this feature on the HD TiVos.

Comment

Working...
                X