Smaller hard drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller hard drive?

I used weaKnees to upgrade from the stock 40GB drive to a 200GB drive that went great! Now I want to replace the 200GB drive with a 160GB drive instead (yeah, I know; but the 200 is *very* noisy and a little flaky (stuttering video). Besides, the 160 is a Seagate drive made specifically for DVR usage).

When I issue the mfsbackup command I get a "not enough space on the target drive" kind of message. Understood. Can I use another switch or something to copy from the 200GB down to the 160GB? How about Norton Ghost or the like?

Thanks!

If you want to step down in drive size, you need to do a copy without recordings. You can either do a settings-only copy, or you can do a backup and restore.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

Just so I understand correctly -- can I backup and restore to the smaller drive or not? It looks to me like the MFSBackup is the backup and restore option and the settings only is the alternative right?

Could I transfer the recorded video to another PC using the TiVo desktop and then restore to the TiVo afterward? She'll be pretty unhappy if I lose those Desperate Housewives recordings in the process

Comment

Yes, you can do both of those things. You can backup and restore to the smaller drive (any drive at least as big as the original drive). And you can transfer shows from the old drive to your PC, then back onto the new drive once it's installed.

Comment

WK-Michael - You said you could copy recordings to a PC and later copy them to the new Tivo drive - how is that done?

Comment

You would use the latest version of TiVo Desktop to move the recordings to and from.

It only works with non-DIRECTV TiVos.

Comment

software

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
              If you want to step down in drive size, you need to do a copy without recordings. You can either do a settings-only copy, or you can do a backup and restore.
              What tivo software did you use to do this copying? I need to copy from a large hard drive to a smaller hard drive just like this other person did. thanks

Comment

As long as the smaller hard drive is larger than the original drive in the unit, you can use this information:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com

Comment

Downscaling TIVO hdd

In the past I use JMfs to copy the 250GB over to the 1 TB. the 1TB hard drive is in the TIVO now and has the latest software. I want to copy it back to the 250 GB hard drive so just in case the 1 TB hard drive fails, I will have a backup. Thank you for the link you have provided but I'm not sure if that's the right thing for me to do because it seems way complicated than just copying like I did with JMFS tool. I don't need a copy of the TIVO stuff on my Windows computer that why I have this extra hard drive laying around just in case. Is there a simpler way like using the JMFS tool. thanks

Comment

Basically I'm trying to copy the software from the 1tb to the standard premiere hard drive id like to do that settings only copy mentioned up there if possible so let me know if that can be done thanks

Comment

I really haven't used the other tools, but I know the one I linked to will do the trick for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X