Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several Series 2 directivo's locking up

Hi,

I have several directivo's, An HDVR2, An R10, and a dvr40. They all will periodically lock up, requiring us to unplug and restart the units. I have replaced hard drives in 2 of the units and this seemed to help for a while.
    Now they are starting to do it more often again. Any advice as I've seen the directv dvr plus and would rather not go there. The hard drives were purchased on ebay and I used instant cake to install the software. Is it possible that it is something other than the hard drive?

Thanks for any input

If the drives were used, that's the most likely culprit. Definitely check the drives first.

Next, 6.3e is causing rebooting in these models. 6.3f is slated for a rollout starting next week.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Both drives were supposedly new. 1 was from some best buy outlet. I also ran the test software that came with the drives to check for errors. I don't really trust those however because one of the bad ones I took out tested OK

Comment

Yeah - the tests do seem to find most drives are OK. In some situations, we have deeper tests from the manufacturers, but really the best test is just swapping out the drive to see if problems continue.

Comment

lock ups

My Hughes Series 2 has done this intermittently for months. Pulling the power resets it and it runs fine. I thought that I saw a correlation with service updates so I pulled the phone line, but it still locked up. I see that it's running 6.3e. I have 2 HDs. The OEM and the expansion. What are the odds between the HDs and DirectTv's buggy software?

Comment

Originally posted by Bergman View Post
            My Hughes Series 2 has done this intermittently for months. Pulling the power resets it and it runs fine. I thought that I saw a correlation with service updates so I pulled the phone line, but it still locked up. I see that it's running 6.3e. I have 2 HDs. The OEM and the expansion. What are the odds between the HDs and DirectTv's buggy software?
            You might want to plug the phone line in and wait for 6.3f, which is starting to roll out.

Comment

updates

Is there any way that a user can initiate the software update?

Comment

Unfortunately no...it is in DIRECTV's hands.

Comment

Reboots

I now have software version 6.3f. I've experienced a couple of the same lock ups and the past 2 days I've experienced random reboots while playing back recorded shows. This is a Hughes Series 2 DVR40. It is operating off the original HD plus a second drive that I installed new 2 years ago. What is my next step?

Comment

I now have software version 6.3f. I've experienced a couple of the same lock ups and the past 2 days I've experienced random reboots while playing back recorded shows. This is a Hughes Series 2 DVR40. It is operating off the original HD plus a second drive that I installed new 2 years ago. What is my next step?
                    You might try testing your drives. People have not reported terrific success with 6.3f, so it still could be software...but it also could be just about anything else (motheboard, power supply, drive), unfortunately.

Comment

How does one test the main drive? If it needs replacement what are my options for obtaining a drive with the necessary software? Obviously I know how to buy a raw drive.

Comment

Drive testing info is here:

http://www.wkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9

We can reformat your drive:

http://www.weaknees.com/misc.php

Comment

Lockups..

I also have two Directv Tivos' that have been locking up and rebooting for the last several weeks. I think it's related to their software. Last night if froze right around the time it started 'Indexing'. It's starting to get very frustrating. I hope they get it fixed soon!!! It has happened in the past a few times...and then things work again magically....that's why I thinks it's software related.

Comment

Originally posted by danwenz View Post
                            I also have two Directv Tivos' that have been locking up and rebooting for the last several weeks. I think it's related to their software. Last night if froze right around the time it started 'Indexing'. It's starting to get very frustrating. I hope they get it fixed soon!!! It has happened in the past a few times...and then things work again magically....that's why I thinks it's software related.
                            That really does sound like it could be drive problems also. What OS version are you running currently?

Comment

Software versions are:
                              6.3f-01-2-151 for Hughes Network Series 2
                              6.3f-01-2-521 for Series 2

Is the what you mean when you say OS?

I find it strange that BOTH harddrives would start exacting up the same exact week....after years of no problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X