Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 540040 Series 2 stuck on Powering up screen

Hi,

TIA for your help. So I don't consider myself a noob, but there is one thing I can't seem to figure out with this upgrade process. Here is my situation. I have two Tivo 540040 that look like they have bit the dust. One of them which I have added a 2nd drive, the other is unmodified. I think they have both seen the GSOD, at any rate, they are both currently stuck on the Powering up screen permanently.

So option number one, the easy option, is to simply buy a drop in drive from you guys for each of those two Tivo's and then I am done.

But I know how to tinker, so I would like to investigate option number two and buy a couple of hard drives myself and burn the images and possibly get more bang (space) for my buck.

But here is what I *don't* get. If I buy a new hard drive... and I follow the interactive instructions correctly with the old drive and the new drive... and the old Tivo drive is really, REALLY dead... then I won't be able to do the upgrade, correct? I can only use the WK software tools (or Hinsdale software tools for that matter) if the old Tivo drive is still running. In other words, there is no way for me to create a "drop in drive" like you guys sell, correct?

Or do I have that incorrect?

Thanks.

Right - the software basically does the copying and formatting, but you need the actual TiVo OS from a working drive also. Without that, these tools won't help.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X