Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo DVR R10 Problems

Hi all!

As you can see, I'm new here and have issues with my R10. I've read a lot of the issues that seem to relate to my problems but I wanted to get a fresh perspective on my issues.

As of now, the main viewing room has a Tivo DVR r10 using Directv with Dual Tuners. We've been using this r10 for about 3 years and it's using the Series2 platform w/ software ver. 6.3f-01-2-521.

For about a month, we've been experiencing random freezes. We would usually come home after being away for a few days to find the screen frozen and no way to access the unit. I usually reset the unit by hitting the red button but should I be disconneting the unit from its power strip for a better reboot?

Also, we've started seeing random reboots. Actually had one yesterday and one today. The system just rebooted itself while I was watching tv. I hadn't touched the remote or the unit.

The r10 is on the same phone line as the house phone but this has never been an issue in the past. (As far as I know.)

There hasn't been any lines or the green screen of death but I am curious as to what needs to be done. I see the recommendation for replacing the drive but running a diag. on it may prove difficult. Especially since we're using laptops in the house. Plus, we don't want to lose the programs currently stored on the unit.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

That's almost definitely a hard drive problem. A "replace" kit for your model should fix the problem:

http://www.weaknees.com/r10a.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Seems like replacing the harddrive is not a big deal. Is it basically just a matter of swapping them out? Plus, what's the best way to save what's on the other harddrive besides dumping to vhs?

Comment

The process of replacing the drive is quite easy, yes.

You can play the contents in real time onto VHS or a standalone DVD recorder.

Comment

Received the new harddrive the other day and finally replaced it today. That was pretty easy. Now I'm having issues with the local numbers for DVR service not answering.

The crazy part...the R10 gets the Update Numbers, I try several different ones and get the same message, Failed. Service Not Answering. I go back and mess with the dialing setup, try to get the Update Numbers again and get the same message, Failed. Service Not Answering. WTF?

Guess I'll head over to the troubleshooting area.

Comment

Here are good troubleshooting suggestions:

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Tiv...s_content.html

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
              Here are good troubleshooting suggestions:

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Tiv...s_content.html

Thx for the link Jeff. I'll keep that in mind if I run into this issue in the future. I finally was able to get through on one of the Program Info phone numbers by changing the dialtone setting to "Do Not Wait".

Guess what, though. I still have a problem. Now the time is off by an hour. It's actually on Central Time instead of Eastern time. I have the correct local programming but the times line up for Central. Both Time Zone and Daylight Savings are set to Auto-Detect by Satellite. I've even changed them manually but no change.

The OS is not up-to-date as well(6.1-01-2-521). I've tried to force a download but nothing changed afterwards. I tried it a second time and rebooted the DVR with no changes. I'm kind of a loss on this one.

Comment

i posted a response on another thread about the same issue, new weaknees 160gb replacement drive for my r10, time is 1 hour slow (i am in central, not accounting for dst). I had both tz and dst set to auto detect and tried to change manaually - no change. my os is also not up to date is is the same version as alecquaid, 6.1-01-2-521

Comment

Just keep it connected to both phone and satellite dish, and keep your fingers crossed. It should come.

Comment

Well, the new WK 300gb HD has been in the R10 for about 3 weeks now. Finally got the DST problem solved and everything has been working fine. Up until we turned the tv on this morning and the the picture was frozen. Restarted the R10 and everything was back to normal until about 30 minutes ago while watching the Celtics game. You guessed it, the program froze. The remote had not affect and it wasn't on DTV's end.

Anyone else experiencing any freezing issues lately and I hope this HD isn't already corrupted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Re: R10 freezes

Sorry I did not see this posting sooner. I am new to the forum.

Now for the bad news. I have two DirecTv R10 Tivos. Both are about 2 years old and worked flawlessly until last autumn when software "updates" were pushed on them via a telephone line download. I believe it was to version 6.3e. Afterwards I began experiencing occaisional freezes requiring me to cycle the power to recover. I lived with it figuring it was related to the software and if I was experiencing on 2 units that others were as well and a bug fix should soon follow. I was excited when 6.3f came out as I expected it would fix the problem - only it didn't. I have not persued a solution as I figured I would soon be upgrading to an HD solution soon - probably TivoHD with FIOS. Call me paranoid, but I have begun suspecting the glitches are a play by DirecTv to get rid of Tivo by making us think that we would be better off with one of their non-Tivo DVRs.

Comment

Those are almost definitely hard drive problems. A "replace" kit for your model should fix the problem:

http://www.weaknees.com/r10a.php

Comment

I have a second hard drive that I would like to install on my tivo r10, would someone out there help with a good inistruction on how and what to do. Thanks.

Comment

Full info is here:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com

Comment

Dvr R10

I got one of these almost two years ago and its worked pretty well. Tonight it decided to display a solid black box on my TV, as if it were a display screen since it is about 1/3 the size of my TV screen. It goes off and on, but is mostly on. My guess is something in the electronics is heating up or there is a component of some sort breaking down.

I called directv but you know how hard it is go get a person. Not sure if they even have any.

Anyone have some ideas on what it is or is it fixable>?
                              Thanks
                              Emileblastoma

Comment

Working...
                              X