Samsung 4040 DirecTV upgrade to WD 320

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung 4040 DirecTV upgrade to WD 320

I have followed the instructions to a T. I even made the mistake of repartitoning the existing 40gb WD TIVO installed drive and restoring the tivo.bak to it with success. The problem is after I upgraded the 320 Western Digital 320gb drive for use in this unit it sticks at the Powering Up... screen.

When I did the MFSRestore command and the MFSadd routine, all things reported back as having completed. The MFSadd reported back that the drive was good for 326 additional hours or such. Did I miss something?

OS on TIVO was 6.2-XXX All drives reported the correct size in the Linux check. I have the jumper removed from the drive so it will be a Single/Master. I have tried it as the Master and also Cable Select. No luck.

I'm needing to do the TIVO upgrade dance that my wife says I'll never achieve. She thinks the 35 hours on the existing is plenty, but I know how much room those soaps take up. Getting this done is my mission.

Thanks to all for helping me get my dance card...

Rick

Maybe post your exact commands - something likely isn't right there . . .
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

mkdir /mnt/dos

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc
      (to create BU file, my Win95 Dos drive is HDA and the new WD320gb drive is HDB, HDC is the WD40gb drive from the TIVO and HDD is the CDROM drive.)

Backup us a success and is apprx. 342mb on the WIN95 drive.

mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -bzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb
      (to write BU file to the WD320gb) It uncompresses and reports success.

mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdb
      (to expand WD320gb for full use of drive) It reports success and having added apprx. 326 hours.

Are there some Linux commands I could use to look at the drive after all this to see if indeed things did get wrote?

Comment

Try this restore command:

mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb

Then don't run the mfsadd command, which isn't necessary with the above.

Comment

The last posted command did not work.
          I thought then it could be the drive. So I returned and got a Seagate 500gb drive. Hooked up and ran that command. When done it reports that I've added 500+ hours of recording time. Plugged it into the Samsung and still hangs at Welcome. Powering Up . . . screen. Am it missing a command or not mounting the drives correctly in the initial connections? Would you get an error free confirmation if a cable was bad? Does the original 40gb drive need to be setup and authorized by DirecTV and TIVO to boot correctly?

I even try holding my tongue a different way if it helps.

Comment

Maybe your backup is bad?

Comment

It seemed to have loaded onto the original drive just fine. I will make another and see if that helps. Thanks.

It is just strange that if things aren't created and recreated ok that I don't get errors stating that fact. Everything looks on the up and up when the actions are taken.

I'm retraining on Linux commands so I can poke around and see if data is getting written to the new drive OK. It's been a few years since I've needed a lot of Linux command line orders.

Comment

OK, I still don't get it. I have now done the dd command to direct copy the DirecTIVO drive to the new Seagate 500mb drive. Numbers in matched out.
                Still cannot get to DirecTV screen. Will it take awhile to get there? Am I just out of patience? Is there a step I'm missing? Does anyone ever get a success with this? I am ready to start watching the microwave oven, at least it does something when you push the buttons...

Comment

Are you sure the drive you are copying FROM works?
                  If so, are you sure the jumper on the Seagate is right?

Comment

Yes and yes.

I tried to xpand the new drive and it gave a response that it could not. It said it had a TIVO image of 39hrs. (not ezact wording)

I'll try again when I get the unit up and running with old drive first.

Comment

Working...
                    X