Network a Series 1???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network a Series 1???

Hello. I've got an upgraded Series 1 with lifetime service. Is there any way to network a Series 1 so that I can access it via the Internet and have it "phone home" via wireless Internet rather than phone? Or am I stuck with shelling out for a Series 3 so that I can hang on to my lifetime service?

There are actually some cards out there that allow this - we don't sell them but our competitors do - but we really don't recommend them, to be honest. They aren't cheap, and you could consider a new Series2 or Series3 TiVo as an option.

Your lifetime service can be moved to a Series3 unit for $199 as long as you purchase by 12/31/06 and move the service by 1/31/07.

If you want a Series2 box, you can purchase it and after rebate pay about $70, then $7/month since you already have a lifetime unit on the account. Then you get the real-deal online features: scheduling, mp3 streaming, TiVo Desktop, etc.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      There are actually some cards out there that allow this - we don't sell them but our competitors do - but we really don't recommend them, to be honest. They aren't cheap, and you could consider a new Series2 or Series3 TiVo as an option.

Your lifetime service can be moved to a Series3 unit for $199 as long as you purchase by 12/31/06 and move the service by 1/31/07.

If you want a Series2 box, you can purchase it and after rebate pay about $70, then $7/month since you already have a lifetime unit on the account. Then you get the real-deal online features: scheduling, mp3 streaming, TiVo Desktop, etc.

How do you go about getting the "lifetime unit on account" tranferred to the Series2?

Comment

At this point, they'll only transfer to a Series3 (for $199) unless you bought lifetime early enough to be grandfathered in to one free change. That would have to have been sometime in 2000 or before.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          At this point, they'll only transfer to a Series3 (for $199) unless you bought lifetime early enough to be grandfathered in to one free change. That would have to have been sometime in 2000 or before.
          Hadn't heard of this. We got our first in '98 and wouldn't mind going to a Series 2 if I could transfer service. Do I just call them for more info or is there another way to find out if we're eligible?

Thanks!

Comment

oh wow--I didn't know anything about the "grandfathering" either. I bought mine in prior to 2000. How do I find out more?

Comment

Originally posted by swaayze View Post
              Hadn't heard of this. We got our first in '98 and wouldn't mind going to a Series 2 if I could transfer service. Do I just call them for more info or is there another way to find out if we're eligible?

Thanks!
              You'd have to just call them - 888 FOR-TIVO.

Comment

Originally posted by mrloughry View Post
                oh wow--I didn't know anything about the "grandfathering" either. I bought mine in prior to 2000. How do I find out more?
                Just call them . . . be a little persistent. The phone reps are often new and have no idea how this works.

Comment

Excellent. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X