Upgrading an upgrade - tweaks needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading an upgrade - tweaks needed?

I already upgraded my Series 2 (24004A) with a 160GB (137 effective) drive a few years ago using Hinsdale's instructions (and mfstools). I'd now like to upgrade it again to a larger 500GB drive (plus the 160GB is starting to make strange sounds, I don't trust it to survive much longer). So I just want to do a standard "swap a single (already upgraded) drive to a new single larger drive". I also plan on making a backup image of the 160GB because I can't find the backup image I did with my original 80GB Tivo drive, and the 160GB has much more updated software anyway, so seems simpler for later recovery if needed.

But in your interactive instructions, it says:

"-This site is intended for stock TiVos. Other starting configurations may require tweaks."

I was wondering what "tweaks" (if any) are needed for my situation? And are there any downsides to making my sole backup image from the 160GB vs. the original 80GB drive (other than that my minimum size will always be 160GB)?

I also just realized I should have posted in the "Interactive Tivo Upgrade Instructions" sub-forum instead of the Hinsdale one. Sorry about that. Let me know if I should re-post there.

Comment

No problem on the forum choice.

The issue is, you can't re-expand the drive and keep your recordings. So you'll need the option for expansion without saving recordings, and you'll get the extra space on the 500. You'll also get to make a backup.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I think on a previous post you had explained that I'd lose my previous recordings, and that's totally fine. FYI, what I'm doing is sucking all the shows onto my laptop via TivoDesktop, and then will transfer them back after the upgrade is done. I haven't seen that mentioned much, but to me, that seems like a great solution for these situations, as long as the laptop/PC has enough hard drive space.

So just to confirm, in the interactive instructions, I'll get the correct instructions as long as I check "Ingore" in the box for "Save or disregard recordings" (in the "Set Some Options" page), correct?

Comment

Yes - using TiVoToGo and then TiVoToComeBack is a great method during an upgrade to keep your shows and get more space.

Right: "Ignore" recordings is the key.

Comment

Great, thanks! That's everything I need to know.

Comment

I hadn't been aware of the limitation on upgrading more than once until this afternoon when I googled for the "not large enough for entire backup itself" error that I was seeing last night when running mfsbackup piped to mfsrestore.

My Hughes HDVR2 DirecTiVo (the HD does not stand for high def unfortunately ) had already been upgraded from a 40GB to a 130GB, and I was attempting to upgrade it again to a 500GB.

Thinking I could work around the problem, I started a dd which is still running after 21 hours, and I have a nasty feeling that even if it finishes, the subsequent mfsadd is probably going to fail.

I would really like to keep all the recordings, but it would appear that I have no choice. Has no-one come up with a tool that can merge the partititions to get around the limit?

Tivo2Go is not an option for me (since it's the DirecTV version). Are there any other choices to accomplish this upgrade while keeping the existing recordings?

Thanks ... Mike

Comment

You can try mfslive - that may make this work.

Comment

Thanks Michael, checking it out now.

Mike

Comment

It (WinMFS) from MFSLive worked. Thank you Michael.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X