• Show
Clear All

I have a Slimline5 Dish that was installed in January 2008. I was recently
    told , by an installer , that I would need a different LNB in order to
    use the SWM8 system. Could you please confirm if this is true? And if so,
    let me know what I need & how to install. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Minnow View Post
      I have a Slimline5 Dish that was installed in January 2008. I was recently
      told , by an installer , that I would need a different LNB in order to
      use the SWM8 system. Could you please confirm if this is true? And if so,
      let me know what I need & how to install. Thanks
      That is definitely NOT true. You can use a single-wire multiswitch. Four lines from the dish connect to the SWM, see:

DIRECTV SWM

Comment

Michael: I have two pretty new DirecTV receivers with a Slimline 5S dish. One receiver has a DVR and the SWM box, the other has a problem. All was working fine until we had a power outage a few weeks ago, after which there was a satellite signal not found message. When I try to Repeat satellite setup, I get SWM not detected. I unplugged the SWM box which is attached to the other receiver until the light went off, then replugged, with no results.

The interesting thing is that in fooling around with the receiver a few weeks ago (and every time since when the power goes off briefly), I was able to get the TV working by going into the Repeat satellite setup section. Instead of being grayed out, as it is now, the Switch type field let me switch from "SWM" (which was highlighted) to "Multiswitch". When I did so, and proceeded with the setup, I got a message something like No satellite signal or no SWM detected - I don't remember what exactly - but then it started downloading the guide and completed it and then the TV worked fine! In trying to avoid having to go through that nonsense every time we have a power outage (which is common here), I clicked on Restore settings in the Satellite setup menu, after which I no longer have the "Multiswitch" option, and the unit remains dead.

I have a DirecTV technician coming out in a couple of days, but I'd be interested in knowing whether you'd heard of anything like this or have any further suggestions. Since I was able to get the TV working perfectly after going through my weird little fix, I believe that the cabling is okay, and probably the ?splitter at the dish area.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson95005 View Post
          Michael: I have two pretty new DirecTV receivers with a Slimline 5S dish. One receiver has a DVR and the SWM box, the other has a problem. All was working fine until we had a power outage a few weeks ago, after which there was a satellite signal not found message. When I try to Repeat satellite setup, I get SWM not detected. I unplugged the SWM box which is attached to the other receiver until the light went off, then replugged, with no results.

The interesting thing is that in fooling around with the receiver a few weeks ago (and every time since when the power goes off briefly), I was able to get the TV working by going into the Repeat satellite setup section. Instead of being grayed out, as it is now, the Switch type field let me switch from "SWM" (which was highlighted) to "Multiswitch". When I did so, and proceeded with the setup, I got a message something like No satellite signal or no SWM detected - I don't remember what exactly - but then it started downloading the guide and completed it and then the TV worked fine! In trying to avoid having to go through that nonsense every time we have a power outage (which is common here), I clicked on Restore settings in the Satellite setup menu, after which I no longer have the "Multiswitch" option, and the unit remains dead.

I have a DirecTV technician coming out in a couple of days, but I'd be interested in knowing whether you'd heard of anything like this or have any further suggestions. Since I was able to get the TV working perfectly after going through my weird little fix, I believe that the cabling is okay, and probably the ?splitter at the dish area.
          Power outages can do all sorts of strange things. If you have a DIRECTV tech coming out, he/she should be able to isolate the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
            Thanks for coming to the forums!

We're all happy to help with any SWM issues in this forum. We've had a lot of experience using these switches, and we're up for the challenge of helping in any situation we can.

Our sales and information page is here:

WeaKnees Single Wire Multiswitch Page

In addition, if you're looking for more information, you might find some here:

SWM Information

http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/swm-with-diplexer.jpg

need to ask something ... on the above page need to do 3 dvr ... need cable at each... have cable modem but not thru system (dont know freqs)... will have own line outside of system...

switch needs to be in a remote location (no power) but all line runs terminate at switch including cable...

would like cable in switch & power supply at recvr 1 .......

basicly moving ps on other side of splitter...

i know it would work without diplexers... but never tried it with cable & diplexers

thanks

Comment

I don't really get it - if you're keeping the cable modem outside the system, why do you even need diplexers? Are you running OTA?
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I don't really get it - if you're keeping the cable modem outside the system, why do you even need diplexers? Are you running OTA?

question is the new placement of the ps & if the cable will work at the tv's with ps there ... i think ok .... but read that post again ....just the modem will have its on line

Comment

Yup - the PS can work just before the receiver. Just make sure you are on a red splitter leg.
                  Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yup - the PS can work just before the receiver. Just make sure you are on a red splitter leg.
                    thanks ....................

Comment

Working...
                    X