tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tools

Using the weaknees sata.iso boot cd i was able to copy my old tivo drive to the new drive, but i cannot get the add command to run to get the tivo to recognize all the space. does the www.weaknees.com/weaknees_sata.iso image NOT have the mfsadd command on it? if so, what am i to do now?

It's definitely got mfsadd.

What exact command are you trying, and what error do you get as result?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

i think the problem is that i was following someone else's directions. i used dd to copy the drives. the copied drive actually works just fine, it just reads as exaclty the same as it did before.

what would the next step be? do i have to start over again from scratch, or is there a way to fix this more easily?

Comment

I tried running mfsadd and it said command not found, but i might not have typed it correctly. the key issue for me at this point is that the cloned new drive does work just fine, is there a way for me to get it to expand the space now, or do i need to start the whole process over again?

Comment

You can - just use:

Code:
          mfsadd -x -r 4 /dev/hdZ
          replacing "Z" with the drive specification.

Comment

still flumoxed

still not working. i type in mfsadd -x -r 4 /dev/sdb since its b drive and get this error
            dev /sdb : no medium found
            /dev/sdb10: illegal seek input/output error.

what gives?

Comment

gave up

got winmfs and tried using mfsadd there.

the tivo is waking back up now. lots of hard drive spinning. LOTS of spinning. keeping fingers crossed.

Comment

well, that failed also. tivo shows splash screen for a second, then just sits there on a grey screen.

Comment

so, back to the drawing board. i'm going to try using winmfs to do the whole thing over again.

Comment

wowee. after pulling my drive 5 times, i was finally able to expand my tivoHD using winmfs. it even preserved the programs and the cable card settings. 1192 hours of SD tivo and well over 100 of HD.

Comment

Sounds crazy, but glad it finally worked!

Comment

relief

me too. very happy that it finally worked.

some lessons i learned.

upgrading the tivo HD seems a bit more challenging because of sata.
                        the regular mfstools doesn't recognize sata
                        finding a pc with a sata controller that will work takes some doing, and hooking up 3 drives in a pc usually takes at least one extra sata cable that you have to buy. hopefully not at Best Buy, which i did in desperation, and spent big $$$ on.
                        the weaknees cd failed to expand the drive, but did clone it. no idea why.
                        trying mfstools on the drive that had been cloned with weaknees cd rendered the tivo OS on the drive inoperable

winmfs has the clunkiest interface ever, but it did work. having mfsinfo to tell you the drive was expanded is a big plus. Despite this program being alpha, i highly recommended it because it took about 20 minutes, preserved my programs and Cable Card settings (very nice), and all in all took dramatically less time than all the futzing i did with boot cd's

Comment

Working...
                        X