Replaced HD 240080, now stuck at powering up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced HD 240080, now stuck at powering up

I had no problem installing the new hard drive and went thru guided setup with no problems. The programming was downloaded and then box went to gray screen Powering Up and has been stuck there for almost an hour. What do I do now?

Sounds like more hardware problems. Is the drive from us?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

sorry

I knew I gave too little info. Yes I just received the upgrade drive from you today. I had no trouble installing it and was thrilled to finally see the green light on the Tivo again. I made it all the way thru guided setup, entered network key, cable channel check, etc. Then went to gray powering up screen and stuck there. HELP!

Comment

This could be the beginning of a power supply failure, or it could just be a bad new drive. Was your old drive working OK? Does it work now?

You should try just disconnecting all of the cables and then reconnecting them. Likely one cable just became loose somewhere.

Comment

I had gotten the GSOD on the old drive so after reading all the posts in the forum sounded like I needed a new drive. Why would I get all the way thru guided setup if it is a bad drive or loose cable? I wll open the case and reseat the cables and try again this morning.
          Last edited by sweetsuzannah; 05-06-2008, 06:04 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Sounds good. Tell us how it goes.

Comment

Well it didn't go well. I reseated the cables, powered Tivo up and now am only getting the blinking green/amber light again. This is what I was getting with the old hard drive. Ok so I am totally confused about why I had green light and was able to get all the way thru guided setup with the new hard drive and now cannot even get a green light. I am soooo disappointed. The little one and I were thrilled to have our Tivo back in operation or so we thought! So what do you suggest now? How do I determine what the problem is?

Comment

That sounds like it might be a bad power supply. Do you get any video out at all? How about with no drive installed at all - do you even get to "powering up?"

Comment

wow didn't even know it was possible to get video without the hard drive in. I get no video at all with the drive in. I hear the hard drive start spinning when I plug the power in and then the lights are blinking green/amber but nothing on the tv monitor at all. Ok so I will pull the drive out to see if I get video. I will also put the old hard drive back in and see what I get but if I'm right I got no video with it either the last time I powered it up.
                  Can you give me a few suggestions to try this time instead of just the one? I truly appreciate your quick replies but am willing to try a few things if you can just steer me in the right direction. I am just having a hard time understanding why when I installed the new hard drive and powered it up it immediately had a green light and walked me thru the entire guided setup before going to gray powering up screen? Is that what indicates a possible power supply issue? I mean I hear the hard drive spinning so it's getting power right?

Comment

My guess is that your power supply was in the process of failing, but hadn't fully failed. Then, it did fail entirely.

If you get no video with either drive or without either drive, then it's pretty likely that the power supply is dead.

We have replacements here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivops.php

Comment

OK could you just briefly explain to me why I hear the hard drive spinning if the power supply is bad?

Comment

Sometimes the drive will still spin, and the fan will spin also, even with a power supply that can't deliver the proper power to the motherboard.

I suppose that you could have pulled out the white flat cable connecting the motherboard to the power supply, and that would cause these symptoms. Check that cable carefully - you shouldn't see any silver contacts there.

Comment

I took out the new hard drive. Now I do get to "Welcome, powering up" with the drive out. So I'm not sure what that indicates. Did I even need a new hard drive? Do I need the new hard drive and a new power supply? I did check the other cables especially the flat white cable you mentioned and they all are tightly seated. Money is tight and I really can't afford to buy something I don't need but dang we sure want the Tivo to work again. Thanks for any help you can provide.
                          Last edited by sweetsuzannah; 05-19-2008, 07:30 AM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Our guess is that now a new power supply will do the trick. It's returnable, if you need to. Power supplies are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

Comment

Here's hoping

Ok I just ordered the power supply from you. Wish me luck. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X