SWM Config Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM Config Questions

I've been going through the various potential configurations using your SWM product, figured I'd just post and ask before ordering. We want to try to avoid running another cable into the house for the DVR (just some concerns about aethetics, water intrusion, etc.

OK, here's how we're setup:

Two-story house with a fairly new 5-LNB dish.

This has 3 cables dropped down the side of the house. These are then connected (via adapters) to 3 cables (RG-6 I believe) that run into and around the house.

(Side note: I thought 5-LNB dishes were supposed to have 4 cables run from them?)

Basically we're using the existing cable-TV cabling to send the Sat signal to 3 different rooms (there are actually cable ports in 5 rooms - two of the cables are not plugged in outside where the sat drops are located).

Currently in use:
    #1 Main TV room downstairs has a HR21 HD DVR
    #2 Office has on older SD RCA box (probably go HD in this room soon)
    #3 Bedroom has a H20 HD box

Currently not used:
    #4 Bedroom - currently not used but will likely move the RCA box here when #2 is upgraded
    #5 Extra room - unused (though will be at some point)

The DVR is the current issue - we really want record one and watch one (or record two) like we had with our cable/DVR service.

I though the SWM would be perfect, especially now I understand that the power supply works from inside the house (correct?). Now however, I'm confused by the install guide I read on this site - it looks like all the Sat cables are converted into a single cable that then has to be re-distributed through the house?

Or can we (this is how it looks) just grab a couple of the wires from the Sat, use the SWM on those, and pick up the duplexed signal at the DVR location and be able to have two signals (i.e., record + watch)? Then just leave the other cables connected directly to the other two locations? Of course I may have a 2nd issue in that I only have 3 cables off the Sat dish (I can call DTV on this).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Danny

OK - first, you're right, there are four cables on a 5LNB dish. But your installer likely just didn't connect the fourth at the time of installation.

The SWM needs all four connected to it directly. Without those, it won't work.

So you can connect the SWM right there, at the dish, with all four cables, then you can attach the three units:

-HR21 gets either SWM 1 or SWM 2 (depending on if you also use it for power or not)

-H20 gets the other SWM

-SD RCA gets a legacy port (and when you go HD here, you get a 1 x 2 SWM splitter and use one of the ports above instead)

The power can go at the HR21 or H20 - whichever is more convenient. It has two ports: one for the cable to the SWM, and the other for the run to the receiver.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Or you can use a swm lnb that has only a single line so eliminate the 2 extra wires u currently have a use the Pl-28 p/s behind the hddvr connecting a sws4 splitter to the other rooms to get signal up to 4 receivers unless u use the sws8 if your gonna end up with that 5th room active at some point. Basically same setup as swm switch as previously posted but having it built into the lnb.
      Sorry just noticed the rca boxes u mentioned...
      You of course would have to upgrade those rca boxes for the newer sd boxes **d-12 or newer**
      Last edited by Dtech22; 07-04-2008, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X