2 Tivos on network, 1 fast 1 super slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Tivos on network, 1 fast 1 super slow

I have 2 Series 2 Tivos, both hooked up to identical USB wireless adapters, both within a foot of each other and 1 Tivo transfers through Tivo-to-go at a very decent rate 2 hour show in about 2 hours the other Tivo takes up to 8 hours to transfer the same 2 hour show and usually does not complete the transfer. After trying to transfer I get error message that element is missing and Tivo Desktop will not ever recogjnize the show again just list a NO DETAILS even though show is still on Tivo. Any ideas??

Are they both recorded at the same quality level? What model is each unit?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

More Info

Both were recorded at Best Quality. The fast one is a TDC240080 the slow one is a TDC540080, I have even tried it with the exact same program, same result

Comment

As far as we know, the hardware in both of those is USB 2.0, but it may be that since they use different OS versions, that the faster drivers aren't implemented in the older units.

Comment

??

The older of the 2 units is the faster of the two. It is 4 years old the other about 2.

Comment

Sorry - got it backwards.

Actually, I also missed that the adapters are wireless. Wireless is basically not fast enough to care about USB 1.1 versus 2.0 either, since the wireless link is the slow part.

The wireless must be the issue. You must be getting a better connection to your wireless access point from the older unit. If you really want better speed, you should go with wired adapters. We have the PowerLink products which can put ethernet through your power lines - they work really well.

Comment

What do I need

OK, what all will I need, to go with the wireless adapters, so that both TIVOs will transfer better? Both TIVOs are next to each other, router is in other room.

Comment

Mistake on last reply

I ment to say wired adapters.

Comment

Assuming they're both plugged in to the same hub/router/switch, then our only remaining guess is that there's a hard drive problem on the slower one.

But have you connected your computer to a unit directly with a crossover cable to eliminate all network-related issues?

Comment

Power Link?

On the Power Link product you mentioned, what all will I need to connect both my Tivo's to my network?

Comment

You'd need three units, assuming I understand your layout. So one dual, plus one single pack. You'd plug one into an outlet near a hub, and one into an outlet at each TiVo.

Comment

A bit of a change

Since our discussion started, I changed my mind and today ran cable from my router to my Tivos, so what do I need to use my ehternet cable to connect to my Tivos?

Comment

You need the USB to ethernet adapters on our TiVo parts page.

Comment

Working...
                          X