Tivo HD drive upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo HD drive upgrade

I've seen folks ask about upgrading the hard drive in a Tivo HD. I just did mine, so I thought I'd post about how it went.

I decided to replace/upgrade my drive because it had been having 'freezing' problems. I bought the 500 GB drive.

The installation could not have been easier. I've replaced drives in laptops before, so I felt comfortable with this type of work. But the WeaKnees instructions are very clear. Anyone could do this. From taking off the case to putting it back on took not more than 15 minutes.

After doing the Guided Setup I thought everything was fine. I had SD channels (I'm on Comcast). However, when I tuned to an HD channel, I didn't have HD channels and the CableCard diagnostic screen popped up.

A call to Comcast resolved this without incident. Comcast technician issued some signals to my card, and within 30 seconds I had my HD channels.

All and all an easy process. Kudos to WeaKnees!

Thanks very much for the report!
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I am curious to know which model of TIVO HD you upgraded. I recently bought a TIVO HD Model TCD652160. The WK's upgrade instructions does not list my model number.

Comment

Right - we don't cover that one model. You need mfslive for that.

Comment

What is mfslive?

Comment

Thanks, I found it

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
              Right - we don't cover that one model. You need mfslive for that.
              Michael, just hours ago I bought a 500gb hard drive for my TIVO HD Model TCD652160. I'm not really concerned if upgrade directions are not online for this model, as I assume they will be in the box w/ my hard drive, as they were when I bought a 500gb hard drive for my other TiVo (Series3).

But I gotta ask - what is mfslive?

Comment

That's a different piece of software for upgrading, based on mfstools.

You don't need any of this if you have a kit. We do all of the Linux work here before we ship it.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                  That's a different piece of software for upgrading, based on mfstools.

You don't need any of this if you have a kit. We do all of the Linux work here before we ship it.
                  I see. Looking forward to upgrading my 2nd TiVo.

How long are the Seagate DB35 drives expected to last? I upgraded my TiVo Series3 w/ a 500gb drive in Mar 2007, and on occasion, the image has problems. At this point I think it's primarily during live shows (lots of problems during the US Open this last week). I'll pay attention and see if it happens during non-live shows.

You have a great service, and a great product. Very happy overall, and happy to be buying another hard drive. Thank you.

Comment

"Expected" is generally five years, but as with any mass-produced product, that's an average. Some die out of the box, some will last ten years or more. So you can't really narrow down how long a specific drive will last based on that estimate. But we do know that for the drives we sell overall, five years is about right.

Comment

Working...
                    X