• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Certain Channels

I just got my SWM8 in and wired. I have the following setup

SWM1 --> power inserter --> 1x2 splitter --> 2 H21 receivers
    SWM2 --> 1x4 splitter --> 2 H21 receiver

It seemed as if everything was working as it should but then my wife found that channels 229 (HGTVHD) and 231 (FOODHD) are returning no signal 771 errors. I found this on a couple other sporatic channels as well.

Reviewing the troubleshooting tips it seems I should be able to see the SWM mentioned on the satellite signal page which I am not.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

Thanks,
    Jim

Not sure what it would show exactly on a non-DVR, but try pressing the red button inside the access door. That should fully reset the unit to a point where it'll look for the SWM properly on boot.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the response Michael. I played with it all weekend including pushing the red reset button without any luck.

Any other ideas what would cause me to only be missing some of the HD channels?

Thanks,
      Jim

Comment

Possibly a misaligned dish? Have you tried this with bypassing the SWM to see if you get the channels that way?

Comment

Yes I had been using the dish for a month before adding the SWM so I could move some of the receivers around. All channels worked correctly prior to adding the SWM last weekend.

Jim

Comment

Can you describe what you have from the dish to the SWM?

Comment

Originally it was two lines coming down. I had two more lines run and as far as I know they are connected directly to the dish without a multiswitch. (I havent looked since the tech was here. It is on the 3rd story roof of my townhome)

the four coax lines are directly connected to the SWM inputs. The only issue I can think of is the runs are longer than the 42 feet mentioned, but if this was the issue I would imagine I wouldnt receive any picture at all.

Jim

Comment

That all sounds right - assuming the lines are truly connected. Missing one line, or having one bad connection, would explain this. Without seeing the dish itself, is there any way to see the SWM? If so, can you try an H21 with each of those cables separately to verify that they all get all channels, before hitting the SWM?

Comment

I have the SWM down in my wiring closet with easy access. I set up the SWM and can directly connect the feeds from the satellite directly to the H21receivers.

With direct coax feeds from dish to receiver I receive all the channels I should. When I introduce the SWM to the equation I lose a number of my HD channels.

Jim

Comment

OK - can you try each feed that's currently connected to the SWM on the H21? Likely one of those cables and/or connectors is bad.

Comment

I'm flying out today for the weekend but will check when I get back.

I tried pulling the cables off the SWM this morning quickly and connecting them to one of the H21s but I never got a signal out of any of the cables I tried. Likely a configuration issue, but wasnt much help.

I do remember before the SWM I had 3 receivers setup and working. I tried to set up a fourth receiver in a different room and received no signal. This was the longest run in the house though so I figured it was simply a case of a weak signal. Perhaps it could have been a bad coax cable.

Jim

Comment

OK - have a good trip and tell us what you find when you return.

Comment

Ok I am back and had a chance to sit down and run through each of the 4 coax cables run from the dish.

- 3 work and I receive signal but still not the HD channels I was missing
                          - 1 seems completely dead. I couldnt get a signal working at all

So it seems I have one dead line. Would this explain why I would be missing the HD channels on the other 3 lines though even without the SWM?

Thanks,
                          Jim

Comment

Yes, definitely. The SWM attempts to lock each cable to one transponder, so it can't for one. That's definitely the problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X