OTA distribution amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTA distribution amp?

One thing missing from the SWM specifications is whether or not there is any insertion loss within the SWM-8 on the OTA signal. My old multiswitch actually amplified the OTA signal so that on every port the OTA signal was effectively about the same level as it was on the input.

I sort of assume that the OTA port on the SWM just gets diplexed with each of the SWM outputs. That implies probably a 3-4 dB loss (since that would be the diplexer loss added to a 2 port splitter).

Any thoughts on this?

We actually have seen some signal lost, just as you described. For the few customers where it's been enough to cause an issue, we've recommend amplifiers, and that seems to solve the problems. The SWM does not amplify the OTA signal.

Potentially, diplexing the OTA in after the SWM can reduce signal loss a bit.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

We haven't tried a distribution amp yet, we've been lucky enough not to need it yet. in most cases so far we've actually needed to attenuate.

That being said, I'm sure we'll run into a large complex that requires an OTA amp at the distribution room. What OTA amp could we use at the distribution point that wouldn't interfere with the swm sat signal? Do you know the input tolerance of the OTA input of the swm, could we amplify the signal going in?
      Or are we looking at a situation where we need to amplify after every diplex? That situation sounds like it would be a nasty C/N nightmare.

Comment

Working...
      X