Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tricky SWM install in a rental house with 1 line in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricky SWM install in a rental house with 1 line in.

Hi,
    I am hoping someone can help me figure out if / or the best way to install my DirecTV.

Background:
    • House is a rental, so I can’t run additional lines or punch holes etc.
    • The house is wired for cable, but only 1 line goes into the house, but all rooms get cable. This leads me to assume that there is a splitter somewhere in the house (haven’t located it as of yet) and that it is difficult to get to (even if its in the attic, it will be quite difficult to get to).

So here is what I want to do:
    • Keep one room on Cable feed only (for Internet, not directv)
    • Run 2 rooms with HD DVR (and OTA feed)
    • Run 1 room with normal SWM compatible box (and OTA feed).

Any advice on the best way to do this? From the diagrams that I have looked at it seems that the Power supply may have to be linked directly from the SWM switch. Is this the case? Or can I add the power supply anywhere in the house?

Can I take a chance and try not adding a SWM official splitter and see what results I get with the splitter hidden somewhere in the house? I am not sure what the ramifications are of not using an official SWM capable splitter.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. I want to get an idea if this is possible before I order all the SWM equipment.

Thanks,
    Morty

The power supply can be downstream from the SWM, inside the house. It's intended to be installed inside.

We really haven't seen good results with non-SWM splitters, but if you don't know where the splitter is, you should just try it as-is. If it works, great, you've saved a lot of time. If not, you'll have to go digging around.

The rest sounds totally do-able, without a hassle.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks Michael.

So just to be sure I got this right. The power supply can be anywhere, including placement after the line has been split?

Thanks again!
      Morty

Comment

Technically, that's right. But you'll see that each splitter has a red "power passing" port, and you'll need to always use that in the direction of the power supply. If you rely on the splitter that already exists in your house, and you put this after that, I think you'll have problems. But with a SWM splitter, you can put the PI after the split.

Comment

One last question,
          What is the best way to run Cable/Internet and OTA signals using this set up?

Thanks so much!
          Morty

Comment

Just put them in through the appropriate port on the SWM, and then diplex them out later. Note that the legacy ports don't carry the diplexed signal.

Comment

On the specs, I see an input for OTA, but not for Cable/Internet, where would Cable/Internet go? (I need to use both OTA & Cable).

Thanks,
              Morty

Comment

Right - there's only one input.

I'm not sure if you can really do both at once, come to think of it, but I do believe they're on distinct enough frequencies that if you diplex the two together before the SWM, that should work. I haven't tried it, but technically speaking, it does seem like it should work.

Comment

Gotcha.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Further clarification, P/I between splitter and STB with SWM8

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                    Technically, that's right. But you'll see that each splitter has a red "power passing" port, and you'll need to always use that in the direction of the power supply. If you rely on the splitter that already exists in your house, and you put this after that, I think you'll have problems. But with a SWM splitter, you can put the PI after the split.
                    This is very useful, if indeed it works this way. I suspect that there shouldn't be a problem (so long as you use the DC feed side to connect to PI). So, to beat the horse dead, this configuration is supported and possible (using the weaKnees SWM-specific 1x2 Holland STS-2 2-2150MHz splitter):

HR20(FTM_SAT1_port)
                    |
                    PI(white)-"IRD" port
                    |
                    PI(red)-"SWM" port
                    |
                    splitter_leg(DC) "red"
                    | ,----- splitter_leg(non-DC, clear)--HR20(FTM_SAT1_port)
                    |/
                    splitter(in,common) "red"
                    |
                    SWM_P1

All the wiring diagrams I have seen so far have the P/I BEFORE the splitter. That's no good for me, as I have power inside the house, and the splitter needs to go in the cable junction box (which is where the feed to the other HR20 is located). I don't see how the splitter being inside the house (AFTER the P/I which has to be inside the house!) makes any sense, unless people have indoor junction boxes. Perhaps this was done to keep people from trying to use diplexers and non-power-passing splitters? Either way, it would certainly be a welcome addition to show this in the weaKnees.com website pictures. In my case, I have 3 HR20s, one will be fed independently via SWM_P2 (furthest cable run, so should be strongest signal).

I can't see how you'd use a splitter with the SWM8 on the SWM1 port, if this is not possible. I need to split the SWM1 port as that's closest to the TV set with a better UPS (in other words, I have much more signal margin with that path).

Thanks,
                    Rob
                    Last edited by JustRob; 07-16-2008, 08:17 PM. Reason: further clarification

Comment

You can definitely use a splitter between the SWM module and the PI. Just be sure to keep the power on the red legs each time. You can also use splitters after the PI.

Comment

Good info - NOT on FAQs/drawings

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                        You can definitely use a splitter between the SWM module and the PI. Just be sure to keep the power on the red legs each time. You can also use splitters after the PI.
                        That's great! Please update the drawings to include this (as I'm sure others will be asking this too). Most people I would think would want the SWM inside or outside, and if it's outside, there's no way to put the PI inside while the splitter is on the outside (where the cables for each separate receiver are located).

In an attempt to try and help others (and not critique the errors of hard-working people at weaKnees), here are my humble suggestions:

Per this URL: http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/swm-wb68.pdf it shows PI between SWM and splitter. I would suggest updating that with the information in this thread.

BTW this is plain WRONG: http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/dual-swm-switches.pdf. There is no L3 port that you inject power in. I don't know what that device is, but it's no SWM-8.

This page is a bit confusing: http://www.weaknees.com/swm-directv.php#parts. The SWM is at the top of the page, then a bunch of SWM-approved splitters, then some specs. The specs should be below the SWM, then splitters below that.

For the scenarios with 3 or 4 receivers, I would recommend using 1 or 2 (respectively) SWM-compatible 1x2 splitters rather than use 1 1x4 splitter and leave the SWM2 port terminated. It's always best IMHO to split to the least amount required (for highest signal integrity).

I would also recommend a 10ga ground wire (or whatever UL spec recommends) for SWM, splitter, and all satellite signals (if the dish is not grounded at the install location) to a 4' copper grounding rod. I've heard that static electricity can be a killer, especially when it's dry and windy.

Thanks for the comments! If it wasn't for you guys, I would have probably dropped DirecTV and gone to the Dish (dark) side.

Comment

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

The most common installations are those depicted in the diagrams, but your comments are well taken and we'll consider adding a note about the placement of the PI and the splitters.

You are incorrect about the L3 port, however. There is a different power supply that powers multiple SWMs, and they use the L3 port for power. In fact, that is how all SWMs in multiple-SWM-installations get their power, through the Legacy 3 port.

Comment

L3 port power - SWM8

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
                            Thanks very much for your suggestions.
                            You are incorrect about the L3 port, however. There is a different power supply that powers multiple SWMs, and they use the L3 port for power. In fact, that is how all SWMs in multiple-SWM-installations get their power, through the Legacy 3 port.
                            Thanks, Jeff. I assumed that power could only come from SWM1/PWR port as the Legacy3 port doesn't show "Legacy3/PWR" on the SWM-8 unit. However, knowing nothing of how these legacy ports (and specifically Legacy 3) work, I'm glad you clarified this for those with multiple SWM-8 configuration requirements.

I appreciate the quick reply and accurate information!

Comment

Working...
                            X