SWM-8 Outdoor Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM-8 Outdoor Installation

I am upgrading from a 3LNB dish to a 5LNB dish and currently have an external mounted 5x8 multiswitch that carries OTA/SAT to 5 locations in my house. I plan to replace the multiswitch with a SWM-8 and to upgrade my existing HD tuners via DirectTV offer to replace these free of charge. I do not want to do any more cabling than is necessary to make the new set up work. To make this work, I will need to split my OTA signal so that it is carried into the SWM-8 and also diplexed into 3 legacy ports. This will require a 4-way splitter for the OTA signal, 2 diplexers to combine the OTA signal and send it through the legacy ports, in addition to the 2-way splitter I will need to send the SWM signal to my new HD tuners under my planned set-up.

I know the SWM-8 can be mounted outdoors, Can the additional splitters and diplexers I willl need to pull this off also be mounted outside? Can you recommend any products or techniques that will afford a neat outdoor installation of this bundle of splitters and diplexers that I will need to replace what was once neatly contained in one single 5x8 multiswitch in my original installation?

Thanks for any insights.

Generally splitters and diplexers can be mounted outdoors. You might consider some sort of weatherproof box that you can put them in, but it isn't necessary.

Comment

I would go with a weather-proof box as well. Idealy you should mount everything inside (opposite the point of entry). Remember, the swm needs a power inserter, that should be weather proofed for sure.

Comment

We generally recommend putting the power inserter inside, since it can send power back up the same cable that sends down the stacked SWM signal.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for Pointers

Yes, I had planned to have the PI inside and there will be no problem doing that. My concern was really with the SWM2 spitter and also the diplexers I will need to combine the OTA/SAT signals at the 3 legacy ports. A weather proof box will do the trick, now I will go looking for one that will fill the bill. Thanks for suggestions.

Comment

Working...
          X