Series 3 - already discontinued????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 - already discontinued????

I read in the New York Times yesterday - a column by David Pogue - that the Series 3 TiVO has been discontinued. So what's replacing it? If I buy a Series 3 is it going to be a dinosaur in the not-too-distant future? I need to make a decision on my TiVO future in the next week or less (roommate with TiVO leaving end of the month, considering switching to cable from DirecTV to avoid upcoming HD MPEG2/4 issues as well as get a better TiVO, etc.). Please advise - thank you

The Series3 is a great box. We have talked to folks at TiVo who, if buying a box for their own living room, would still pick the S3 over any other TiVo box out there. We bought all we could because of what a great product it is.

Comment

I'm sure it is a great box - actually I'd probably end up with the Series-3 architecture HD, since I don't have any kind of home theater setup that would take advantage of the THX. However that doesn't answer my question about the Series 3 being discontinued ... what's happening?

Comment

I cannot tell you what is happening within TiVo because I don't work for TiVo. However, my understanding is that there were some specialized parts that were hard to get and they decided to focus their attention on the lower-end TiVoHD.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
          The Series3 is a great box. We have talked to folks at TiVo who, if buying a box for their own living room, would still pick the S3 over any other TiVo box out there. We bought all we could because of what a great product it is.
          I'm considering getting my first TiVo (if I can ever get Time Warner to fix my HD signal) and was wondering why the Series3 is considered better than the HD or HD XL?

Comment

You will get different answers depending on who you talk to. The Series3 has a digital display and has generally been preferred by our high-end customers. However, the TiVoHD and XL have a great feature in that they can have backup systems added to them. You can't go wrong either way.

Comment

I have 11 TiVos, including 3 Series 3s. I wouldn't take anything for them, and in fact if it were me I would buy a Series 3 just in case they do take them off the market. They will still be supported and you will have a top of the line unit.

Barbeedoll

Comment

I was debating getting the Series 3 and now I don't see it on the website options. Have you sold out? Will there be more?

Comment

We've got a reserve for repairs, and we're seeing if we can get more, but the price seems to have gone up. Supply and demand, I guess. So we may get them and we may not, but if we do, there'll likely be a price hike unfortunately.
                  Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                  X