Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extrnal hard drive (EXT-500) won't power up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extrnal hard drive (EXT-500) won't power up...

I recently pusrchased a 500 GB external hard drive with the following WeaKnees-supplied info:

SKU: EXT-500
    Product: 500GB External Hard Drive For Scientific Atlanta

I connected it to my SA 8300HD DVR, and it has worked fine (for about 5 weeks) until yesterday. When I noticed that my DVR would not play programs recorded before yesterday, but it worked fine with more recently recorded programs, I checked the EXT-500 and found it powered off. Now I'm unable to power the EXT-500 back on again. My DVR is now obviously only using its internal hard drive, and working fine that way.

Is there anything I can do with this EXT-500 unit before giving up and shipping it back to WeaKnees for replacement ?

Thanks in advance.

If you power is down, disconnect the eSATA, and power it back up, does the blue light come on?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Michael. I disconnected the eSATA and powered the EXT-500 back up, but the blue light did not come on. I also do not hear any humming from the drive and the enclosure is cool to the touch, which is telling me that this is some kind of a power problem.

I know that it's hard to diagnose from a distance like this, but is there a common problem that you've seen with these units that have to do with their power module(s) ?

Thanks again.

Comment

Since there was no further reply here for the last 5 days or so, and since I'm really missing the extended storage on my SA-8300HD DVR :-), I'm going to assume that I'm at a dead end here, so I'll pick it up with customer service on the phone.

Thanks though for trying to help WK-Michael.

Comment

Give us a chance! The holiday weekend set us back a bit.

But it does sound pretty dead. Is it under warranty?
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X