Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ice in Hades? TiVO back in DirecTV's plans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They've been claiming to pull them for maybe two years now, but it doesn't seem to be happening, on a big scale. But I am pretty sure a few HD MPEG2 channels have actually been pulled.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Any ideas on how to get signed up as a Beta tester? I'd be happy to sign a NDA and test the new unit for them

Comment

Nope - no idea, really. As far as I know, the betas usually work for DirecTV.

Comment

I very much hope the new unit has some capability fro me to put content ONTO it. I use my tivo as much to view content not available in broadcast form around here as I do anything else.

Comment

Yup - we're also hoping for all of the networking features that standalone TiVos have.

Comment

Well, now, let's see.

My HR22 was easy to network- advanced is just what you'd expect, IP address, subnet mask, router, DNS. I've just found out that the HR10-250 doesn't network- at least not easily.

On the other hand, my wife complains that the HR22 doesn't keep real-time recording on the secondary tuner when you flop back and forth. She also doesn't like not being able to filter the guide by subject- sports, for example. She's big on sports. But you can only get Sunday Ticket on the HR22; the old HD games are gone, they're all MPEG4 now. I've heard that the SciFi HD channel is in MPEG4, too, though I haven't checked it out for myself yet.

Overall I'd say it's a push. I do like the TiVO UI better. But I haven't started seeing what I can do with a computer with the HR22 yet, either.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                It is great news.

But you can get Kung Fu HD? I can't even get PBS HD from DirecTV without an antenna.
                I live in the greater LA area (Ventura), and get HD PBS via the local pkg--something like an extra $5/mo. I can't believe this isn't available to you as well. Or are you being frugal and saving the extra $5/mo by using an antenna for OTA reception?
                Last edited by hshew; 10-10-2009, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I can get it now. That was a while ago.

Comment

Did I miss something? It's the latter half of 2009 and I haven't seen this DirecTV Tivo in HD. I've been holding out, but it's getting harder and harder.

What are my real alternatives if this was a pipe dream? I can't get FIOS here in the "sticks" 10 miles west of Baltimore. I like DirecTV much more than I do Comcast (had both at different times). But most importantly, I like the sensible TiVo interface, remote, and two at a time program watching options.

When, how, to change to HD and keep TiVo?

Comment

A little more searching found this:
                      http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/directv-signup.html

2010 release. Let's hope this doesn't get pushed out further!

Comment

Unfortunately, that page has been around for a while. But at least they haven't moved it back further . . .

Comment

I had a DirecTV installer come out a couple of months ago to move my dish, and I asked him about the new TiVo/DirecTV box. He hemmed and hawed for a bit, then said he didn't think it was going to happen. He wouldn't say why.

Installers aren't exactly in the loop when it comes to new products still under development so you have to take it with a grain of salt, but it makes me wonder if it will ever happen. TiVo itself was supposed to be coming out with new standalone boxes sometime about now, and that hasn't happened either...

Comment

We haven't seen rumors about a new standalone box, but we are sure that TiVo will have a new DirecTV box as. They just confirmed that, again, in the quarterly conference call:

http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/2009/11/n...010-says-tivo/

Comment

Working...
                            X