To WK-Michael

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To WK-Michael

Please see my last posting about my SA 8240 not reading from my Weaknees SATA ext. drive.

I was right. The 8240 not only can't read from the ext. drive, but it can't write to it either. The ext. drive is humming along with the blue light on, but the 8240 acts as if the ext. drive were not there at all.

I have tried rebooting the ext. drive, the 8240, etc., to no avail.

What needs to be done to make the ext. drive work with the 8240 again?

I have a SATA external port on my computer, so is there any formatting I can do using my PC ... or do I need to return it to Weaknees to have it formatted?

Thanks.

It sounds like the drive may be dead. Please post your order number so I can check your warranty status, or email us at [email protected].
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Please see my email to you sent today

Michael,

Please see my email to you sent today regarding my order number.

Comment

Good News! I got the hard drive to work

To Michael and anyone else who might have my problem in the future. See my prior thread to understand the beginning of my problem. The end result was my 8240 could not play back any of he dozen recordings on the WeaKnees 500 GB ext. hard drive. I had tried various unplugging and rebooting of the 8240 + unplugging of the ext. hard drive.

I was just about ready to return the hard drive, just gotten a return authorization number from WK, when I decided to check out a couple of more things.

Since my devices (and wiring) are in an entertainment center, before I returned the hard drive I wanted to check the SATA connections at the hard drive and at the 8240. They seemed snug, but I pushed them in anyway, then rechecked the function of the hard drive. Still not functioning.

Then I unplugged the hard drive, but did something I had not done before - unplugged the SATA from the hard drive. All the while the 8240 was plugged in and turned on. Then I plugged both power and SATA into the hard drive.

This did the trick! I am now able to play back all the recordings on the hard drive that were previously unplayable. The hard drive is now performing as it did when I first installed it.

I am not an expert in SATA, but something about unplugging, then replugging the SATA cable, solved my nonfunction problem, something that all other unpluggings and rebootings did not do.

I hope this experience may be of use to WK tech support and their customers.

Veritas776

Comment

Power failure

This solution worked great for me!! I have a SA 8300HD. After a power failure the DVR was not playing shows stored on the WeaKness HD or recording new shows to it. I thought I had lost my library of shows. I will keep this for future reference. Thanks for the great tip!

Originally posted by veritas776 View Post
          To Michael and anyone else who might have my problem in the future. See my prior thread to understand the beginning of my problem. The end result was my 8240 could not play back any of he dozen recordings on the WeaKnees 500 GB ext. hard drive. I had tried various unplugging and rebooting of the 8240 + unplugging of the ext. hard drive.

I was just about ready to return the hard drive, just gotten a return authorization number from WK, when I decided to check out a couple of more things.

Since my devices (and wiring) are in an entertainment center, before I returned the hard drive I wanted to check the SATA connections at the hard drive and at the 8240. They seemed snug, but I pushed them in anyway, then rechecked the function of the hard drive. Still not functioning.

Then I unplugged the hard drive, but did something I had not done before - unplugged the SATA from the hard drive. All the while the 8240 was plugged in and turned on. Then I plugged both power and SATA into the hard drive.

This did the trick! I am now able to play back all the recordings on the hard drive that were previously unplayable. The hard drive is now performing as it did when I first installed it.

I am not an expert in SATA, but something about unplugging, then replugging the SATA cable, solved my nonfunction problem, something that all other unpluggings and rebootings did not do.

I hope this experience may be of use to WK tech support and their customers.

Veritas776

Comment

Working...
          X