a few questions about Weaknees ISO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few questions about Weaknees ISO

1) The instructions say to use -r 4 to mfsrestore, but the usage message for mfsrestore says -X specifies the scale factor. Which is correct (or are both correct...). Is there any way to tell what the scale factor is on an existing disk?

2) Does the mfsbackup/mfsrestore on the ISO create the newer, bigger root partitions, or does it hardwire the sizes to the older, smaller size?

3) After doing a backup/restore and specifying a 300 meg swap partition, the swap is NOT initialized correctly as I can tell from a serial console. If I use tpip to initialize it after the fact it is OK. Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?

4) Why does the "new" disk have more partitions than the original?

1 - The '-r 4' is right. What instructions are you referring to?

2 - All partitions except additions are the same size as the originals.

3 - That's right. That's why we always recommend a 127 MB swap.

4 - For the additional storage space.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

The usage message if you invoke mfsrestore with no arguments says -X is the "scale factor" and doesn't mention -r. I wondered which was correct. I also wondered if there is any way to tell what the scale factor is on an existing filesystem.

Comment

Originally posted by bbauman99 View Post
        Thanks for the quick reply.

The usage message if you invoke mfsrestore with no arguments says -X is the "scale factor" and doesn't mention -r. I wondered which was correct. I also wondered if there is any way to tell what the scale factor is on an existing filesystem.
        -r is correct. The help information built into mfstools is wrong for this option.

-r controls the minimum allocation unit in the Media File System database. It turns out for partitions larger than ~274GB, the default value (-r 2) is too small and results in a drive that won't boot.

As far the swap and partition sizes: both these issues are addressed in the newer weaknees_sata.iso version of mfstools, but not in the older isos. Details here.

Comment

Working...
        X