Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boosting Signal Strength

Hello!

First of all, the SWM8 is a life saver. For $200, I don't have to re-wire my house.

Here's my configuration:

I have a dish on my roof (three floors up). The cables go to a junction box in my garage, where they are attached to the SWM8.

I have (2) legacy ports used for older DVR's (short runs)
    I have (1) HD DVR attached to SWM port 1 (and the power supply) (long run)
    I have (1) HD DVR attached to SWM port 2 (medium run)

The HD DVR attached to SWM port 1 is a long cable run...back up to the third floor bedroom. It quite often loses the signal. Is there a signal amplifier that would fix that issue?
    Thanks!

There may be a way to amplify that, but where is the Power Inserter? Is it near the SWM or the DVR?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

It's near the SWM...I've attached everything in the distribution panel. I have about 6' of coiled cable attaching the power source to the SWM.

Everything feeds out from there.

Comment

So try putting the PI at the DVR end to see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Unfortunately, just tried that...seemed to be working...then for no reason, "Searching for signal on Satellite In 2 (771)" error message comes up.

Don't supposed you have any idea what I can do? I need help!

Comment

My guess would be a bad cable run - like maybe a staple in the line, or a crimp.

Comment

That's a bit hard to accept, considering that the DVR worked fine before I hooked up the SWM...is there any other way to increase signal strength?

Comment

How long are your runs?

Comment

Run Lengths:

From dish (on roof) to SWM8 (in garage) - no more then 50'

From SWM8 (port 1) to power source (thrid floor) - no more then 40'
                  From power source to HD-DVR (HD20-100S) 6'

From SWM8 (port 2) to other HD-DVR (HD20-700) no more then 30'
                  From SWM8 (legacy 1) to DVR - no more then 20'
                  From SWM9 (legacy 2) to TIVO - no more then 30'

I have also had the power source connected to the SWM8 by the 6' run and attached the 40' run from the power source to the HD-DVR - same result.

It seems when I run BOTH HD-DVR's and one of the legacy's I lose the HD-DVR signal on the long run. Or, when I run the long run HD-DVR and one of the legacy's the signal comes in and out.

Is there an issue when more then two or three recievers are running at the same time? Could that effect signal strength on the long run? The TIVO reciever is ALWAYS on (no off switch - it's an old HD TIVO). The three DVR's can be turned on and off.

Comment

None of your runs, from dish to receiver, is more than 150'....those are definitely not "long" runs. The SWM should handle them fine.

I'd recommend that you shut everything on the SWM ports down, then turn the two receivers on one at a time. You should not need any amplification with those runs. You only have two DVRs on the SWM, and each is well under 150'....well within the permissible range.

Comment

BTW, you should not be using B-Band converters and you should have only one cable into the Sat 1 (FTM/SWM) port on each HR20.

Comment

I have tried several times to restart the DVR's, and I am not using the converters. I've unplugged all four units and started them in this order:

I powerd up the HD20-100S (off port 1) first.
                        Then
                        I powered up the HD20-700 (off port 2)
                        Then
                        I powered up the legacy ports 1 then 2.

After powered up each unit, I turn it off to start up the next. I don't think I am missing a step.

It seems that when running all four units at once the HD20-100S still loses the signal occassionally. Could it be a configuration problem with this unit? It is a reconditioned unit sent to me by DIRECTV. Is it bad?

Comment

That really does sound like a bad unit. Have you tried the red reset button? Have you tried running that unit only?

Comment

I shouldn't say "is it bad" I should ask "is it incompatible with the SWM8"

The unit worked fine before I hooked up the SWM.

It seems to NOT work when I have the legacy recievers in use. Any issues there?

I have reset and restarted the thing about 25 times now (everytime it loses the signal)

Comment

It is definitely SWM compatible, but it really does sound like a bad box. And I'm even more suspicious of it if it's a refurb.

Comment

Working...
                              X