SWM install help - issues with adding 2nd receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM install help - issues with adding 2nd receiver

I just installed a SWM8, powered up the HR21 DVR, did red button reset, and had it working fine (both tuners). I then powered down the HR21 (left plugged in with coax connected) and powered up the D12 receiever for a second tv, performed red button reset, and it also worked fine (altho a weird audio interference buzz sound was intermittent). But when I then tried to turn on the HR21 at the same time as the D12, I have had nothing but problems.

Simply put, while one receiver is working fine, the other receiver is either frozen or "searching for signal...771." When both sets are on, it alternates between receivers as to which one is working properly and which one is searching for signal (every 2 mins or so, one will work and the other freezes). Eventually, the HR21 freezes entirely (won't respond to remote or front buttons). When I disconnect the coax input to the D12, the HR21 starts works perfectly (if its just frozen picture). When I simply power down the HR21, the D12 works fine, except for the audio interference every so often.

I have powered down everything multiple times, including the SWM. I have red button reset each box several times, nothing is improving. My signal strength is excellent (altho takes a while to show up, and sometimes shows zeros on transponders before going to 80-100).

I just had directv installed a month ago, so all of my equipment is brand new, with configuration as the following:
    ** 5LNB Slimline, connected via four 6' RG6 2.25GHz coax to SWM8
    ** SWM8 connected to PI-28 (light on), about 100 ft run of 3GHz RG6
    ** PI-28 connected to STS-4 splitter, 3 ft. RG6 3GHz coax run
    ** HR-21 HD DVR in one room connected to Samsung plasma HD 1080i
    ** D12-500 SD receiver in second room connected to standalone Tivo Series 2 connected to SD Panansonic

Any ideas as to what is not working? It seems like both receivers are "fighting" for one signal. Is this a power issue? Or maybe the splitter is bad?

I'm also wondering if it could be the four 2.25GHz RG6 cables running from the dish to the SWM8? Do I need 3GHz?

Maybe the SWM is bad?

Please help, I'm so frustrated.

Thanks in advance!

Hard to know, but it does sound like they're fighting for the same SWM address.

Have you tried using SWM 1 and SWM 2 - one for each unit?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thx, Michael, I will try it.

I was hoping to eventually use the other ports on my 4x1 splitter to run cables to other rooms, so I would really like to find a solution that will allow me to expand to more receivers. But it sounds like you may be hinting that my SWM is bad.

Can I use only the SWM 2 port (i.e. just swap the current single line from SWM 1), or does SWM 2 have to be used with SWM 1?

Comment

No - I really doubt the SWM is bad, as we've still never seen a bad unit, amazingly. I think there may be a problem with the splitter or a cable.

Comment

Okay, before dropping a new line off the SWM 2 to the D12, I unplugged everything, rechecked all of my connections (found a few that had 1/2 turn more to go to tighten them), then plugged in the PI-28, then the HR-21/red reset/configure/power down, then the same with the D12...and now it works!

I'm not sure if it was the connections or the order in which I powered on. I accidently disconnected the D12 later, and when reconnecting, ran into the old issues where the HR21 kept searching for signal. But as long as I unplugged both receivers, then booted the HR21, configured, powered it down, then booted the D12, all in order, it all worked.

But one lingering problem still - the audio from the D12 still makes a quick annoying buzz/interference sound every 20-30 seconds, randomly. This only started after I installed the SWM8. I've tried every audio setting, nothing seems to get rid of it. This is not a problem on the HR21, only the D12, yet they both are fed from the same 4x1 splitter. I tried to shield the coax into the D12 from any of the power cords, and still no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks again Michael!

Comment

Well, it sounds like you're on the right track assuming that it's an interference issue. But that's still pretty strange. Have you tried a different power outlet for the D12?

Comment

I tried a different power strip (which led me to have to reboot the whole system, noted previously), but there was no difference.

The strange thing is that there was no audio issue when the D12 was connected directly to the satellite (all else the same). It is only since I inserted the SWM8 and the splitter that I'm now having the issue. Its also weird that there is zero issue with the audio on the HR21, which is connected to the same 4x1 splitter.

I'm thinking of swapping out the 4x1 for a 2x1 and see if there's a difference.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Do you get the noise if you connect the D12 directly to the SWM, without the splitter?

Comment

Problem(s) solved! It was the splitter. I replaced the 4x1 with a 2x1 (I have only 2 receivers, but 4 rooms, so I had 4x1 set up for future expansion).

The 4x1 was brand new, so I'm not sure if it is actually bad or the signal loss from splitting 4x was the issue. But when I swapped the 2x1 in, not only did the noise go away, but each box now comes back on line without me having to go through a red button reset on every receiver.

Thanks for the help Michael!

p.s. - I never actually hooked up the D12 directly to the SWM8.
                  Last edited by DeeKay; 10-08-2008, 07:44 AM. Reason: added p.s. comment

Comment

We do have terminators for unused ports on these splitters. We haven't used or recommended them, but they may have helped in your case. But we do recommend using the smallest splitter that makes sense in the installation, so that seems to be the key in your case.

Comment

Working...
                    X