Humax DRT400 - worth to upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humax DRT400 - worth to upgrade?

Hello all, I'm new here. I'm been looking for a solution to replace the DVR from my cable TV as I want to cancel the subscription. However the holding issue is closed captioning as I'm deaf.

I purchased a used Humax DRT400 on Craigslist. I got it activated yesterday and I tested by taping a show. The CC shows up on the recorded show so I ran another test to burn to DVD. When I played the DVD at another TV with DVD player, the CC works!

So far this is about the ONLY known solution to keeping closed captioning on DVR/PVR (I've checked byopvr and there's no confirm answer on CC if I build my own PVR with DVD burning).

So far, so good. However, I noticed that my Tivo freezes. It started last night and after rebooting it started again today. The clock stopped about 2.5 hours after I rebooted and the picture on the TV froze.

So I''m thinking - HDD failure. Am I correct?

I really love the DVD burner because of the one touch simplicity while keeping CC.

However, since I bought it second hand there's no warranty. I also ordered IR cable from Tivo yesterday so am not sure if that was a wise move because I placed my order BEFORE I ran into this problem. I'm sure the seller covered up this fact, so the blame goes to me.

So what are my options? Have it upgrade or eat $100 that I paid for the Tivo? I do not plan to upgrade to HD. And I'm on monthly plan so I have about 28 days to be locked into TIVO for 12 months or just cancel.

I may consider shipping the unit for upgrade and testing if it's worth the extra cost.

So I welcome everyone's advice on this.

Old drives do fail in TiVos after a time, but most often, the other parts are just fine. So we'd recommend just getting a brand new drive (which will have a much larger storage capacity) and continuing to use the unit.

Drives are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/drt4.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Update: This time my Tivo freezes

Here's my update:

I purchased the HDD from weaknees and installed last night. I reset the tivo and repeated all over until I got the notice about the software upgrade at 2 am.

This morning I woke up with the "welcome" still stuck on the tivo. So I turned off the power and turned it back on. Ran some more steps and finally it recognizes the channels from the antenna.

My tivo is DRT400. Account settings shows as DRT800. Normal or incorrect?

I set up two season passes to record two shows tonight and then pressed Live TV and walked away with the TV off.

Several hours later I went to check the tivo. It froze again! The TV screen shows an image that's not moving.

So I guess it wasn't the new HDD although the extra hours at Best Quality helps.

Any other ideas what's wrong with my tivo? I have a sinking feeling at this point I may be pouring good money after the bad.

Comment

The TiVo model number doesn't matter - those use identical software versions.

If the unit is freezing with a brand new drive, you likely have a bad power supply, or bad power to the unit. Possibly, this is even a bad motherboard.

You should try a new power supply from here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

Comment

Just ordered power supply, even though at the back of the tivo I still see the lights on. I just can't get it on without powering it off and on from the extension strip.

That's my last thing for the Tivo. If it still persist, then I bought a lemon.

Comment

Any chance of getting a refund from the Craigslist seller?

Comment

Not going to bother. As I understand, I paid in cash and he's under no obligation. A sale is a sale. Too bad I bought before seeing your ad about the reconditioned Humax. My fault.

I'm persistent on this issue because it's the only device that's proven to record with closed captioning as well as burn DVDs with closed captioning and it's just easy to do so, vs. building my own PVR from scratch and spending time experimenting which software will record and burn to closed captioning.

I taped a football game yesterday in High Quality and it came out great. Ditto for DVD.

I hope the power supply will be the last repair needed. If not, then the mobo is the last part that needs repair, right?

Comment

Well, basically, at the motherboard repair point, you might as well just get a new unit for $199. A motherboard repair is generally $179 . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                  Well, basically, at the motherboard repair point, you might as well just get a new unit for $199. A motherboard repair is generally $179 . . .
                  Power supply will be the last thing to add. If it still isn't that functional, then the buck stops here with Tivo as my first month ends early Dec before getting locked into 12 months contract.

Then no choice but to go cold turkey with no recording (VHS is not an option) or continue to spend through my nose for Time Warner's DVR.

Then I'll just sell the HDD and power supply to partially recoup some costs.

Is the HDD's 2 years warranty transferable?

If I didn't need the closed captioning, I could pick any brand name standalone DVR without Tivo :-(

Comment

If you get another DRT400, the drive can be used in the replacement. You would just choose "clear and delete everything" after installing the drive in the replacement unit.

Comment

I'm not sure if I'll go that route, especially if there's no other very cheap working DRT400 within the 30 days trial.

Comment

which torx?

I got the power supply but I am befuddled on how to remove the power supply board from the Tivo. The problem is that the power plug is secured by a torx screw but it's smaller than what Weaknees sent me with the HDD replacement.

Suggestion please.

Comment

On some units, I believe there's a T8 or something around that size. Sometimes a small allen-key will do it, or you can try needle-nose pliers.

Comment

Tried the needle nose plier and allen key - no dice. So I bit the bullet and went to Home Depot and bought a Torx kit.

I've successfully replaced the power supply today and am keeping my fingers crossed that the Tivo is still functional overnight.

Will keep this forum posted.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X