Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tivo keeps recycling between "welcome, powering up", and "just a few minutes more"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo keeps recycling between "welcome, powering up", and "just a few minutes more"

Does this problem mean my hard drive is dead. I upgraded the tivo about 2 years ago. Is it common for the hard drive to fail in 2-3 years? This happened in the same room as the last Tivo failure (which was the hard drive). My Tivo hookup is the same as in my other room (uninterruptible power supply with surge protection, etc.). Is it possible that something in the satellite signal or phone line could be effecting Tivos in this one room, or is it common to have hard drive failure within 2-3 years.

Thanks for your help,
    Doug.

Yes, that does sound like another hard drive failure. Three years isn't too bad, and it may actually be average for a TiVo drive since they're spinning and reading and writing 24/7/365.

I can't see how the satellite hookup could shorten the drive life. Beyond power fluctuations, the top issues are vibration and movement, heat, and smoke.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Same problem of not powering up...

I have exactly the same problem! Almost 2 years ago I put in a new drive, and now I have the same "Welcome.." and "Just a few" minutes more cycling issue. It does put up a green screen for a frame or 2 saying don't switch off, there's a serious problem, then it resets and goes round again.
        I am trying to copy all the stuff off the drive now, (it had all the good Xmas stuff on!), and put it onto a new drive.

Is it possible to get at the recordings with the drive out of a Tivo? I use TyStudio to "rip" recordings off when it's all working.

Thanks
        Simon

Comment

www.weaknees .com has a recovery service: go to the site, click on Tivo Upgrade Kits, and use the upgrade wizard and Upgrade Kit Assistance link to decide what to do. I may just make backup tapes in the future, also. You might want to e-mail weaknees and ask how likely it is that they can recover your programming from the dead hard drive. I've been getting discouraging responses from my question: that it appears hard drives often only last 2-3 years due to the constant use they get on Tivo's: unlike computers they are written to, etc. 24/7.

Comment

Hard Drive Issue-Freezes every couple of weeks

I have a 1 Yr Old HR10-250 that now freezes every 10 to 15 days. I pull the plug, count to 30 and reboot and it works fine. Does this mean my hard drive is starting to go or can it be repaired somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by bgshapiro View Post
              I have a 1 Yr Old HR10-250 that now freezes every 10 to 15 days. I pull the plug, count to 30 and reboot and it works fine. Does this mean my hard drive is starting to go or can it be repaired somehow?
              It is hard to say for certain, but one thing you should consider is a UPS, see:

http://www.weaknees.com/protect.php

If you find that the problem gets worse over time, with or without a UPS, then you should consider a new drive.

Comment

Working...
              X