Series 3 hardware problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 hardware problem

I have a problem with my Series 3 TIVO that does not quite match other failure descriptions. I have the latest software and am using the coax signal to record non-HD programming (no cable cards.) Occasionally, the live TV output goes away and all I see is a grey/white screen. Switching to the other tuner does not fix it - I see the same blank screen. The programming info is displayed and I DO NOT get any 'lost signal' messages. I can playback recorded programs just fine. A soft reboot of the TIVO always fixes the live TV problem. Is this acting like a bad hard drive? Is it something else?

Thanks for the feedback.

That doesn't really sound like a hard drive problem.

If you have a recording where you see that behavior, and then you rewind the recording and go again, is it the same the next time, or is it different?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks Michael.

The issue only happens watching live TV. I have tried pausing/rewinding live TV but it does not fix the issue. I also tried switching back and forth between the two tuners to no avail (well, switching to the other tuner worked once, but not the last 10 times). Its almost like the video DAC stops working. Is the video playback hardware on the motherboard, or is it separately replaceable? (e.g. daughter card)

Thanks again for any advice.
      Last edited by biwingual; 01-20-2009, 12:15 PM. Reason: Too hasty the 1st time. My wife says that I am inpatient ... maybe she's right.

Comment

That's pretty strange.

None of those parts are independently replaceable. They're part of the motherboard, so you'd essentially need a whole new unit.

I've never seen problems with live TV only - not reproducable on playback.

Comment

I know I'm resurrecting a thread here, but I also have that problem and no other posts I found seem to fit it. This is with a TiVo HD TCD652160 with a multi-stream cable card. Shows a strong signal, good connection, menus are great, plays back pre-recorded items, but no live tv picture or sound. New recordings are just gray screen. It's like the tuner died.
          Last edited by ic3scrap3r; 10-12-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I'd guess that's your power supply, but it could also be a bad CableCard.

See more power supply info here:

https://www.weaknees.com/bps

and call your cable company and ask them to replace your CableCard.

Comment

Working...
            X