SWM LNB and Cable internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM LNB and Cable internet

I know this has been asked before but I'm just trying to clarify. I've read older threads on random message boards that you can't diplex cable internet and Directv without losing the MPEG-4 signals from the dish. I'm moving and going to request the SWM LNB be installed. If I install the cable internet through the OTA port and use the NAS STD-9501 diplexer at my DVR I can run one cable to the DVR and one to the cable modem correct? Also, will the cable internet be diplexed into every line leaving the SWM so I would have to use a diplexer at every HD box? Thanks.

Yes, the cable signal will be diplexed into every line. If you aren't using the cable side, you probably don't need a diplexer at each end just to remove it - you can probably just plug it into a SAT port.

As far as cable internet, that should work fine, but I can't say I've done that before or had a customer tell me they're doing that. I don't know if the cable internet service uses a different frequency than the video portion.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

This is the info from the modem log:

Frequency 681000000 Hz
      Signal To Noise Ratio 41.4 dB
      Power Level 3.3 dBmV
      The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
      Channel ID 4
      Frequency 32000000 Hz
      Power 49.3 dBmV

Sooo 32MHz up 681MHz down. Will that work?

Comment

So this is what I've read. The SWM's control is 2.3MHz and the guide data is on 974MHz. The 1st SWM channel is 1076 MHz. Therefore the Charter internet's frequencies shouldn't interfere correct?

Comment

Yup - that looks right to me. I'd say it's very likely you'll be fine.

If you do it, please report back on how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by SmittS View Post
            I'm moving and going to request the SWM LNB be installed. If I install the cable internet through the OTA port...
            Everything I've been able to find on SWM's is that the SWM LNB does not support OTA or legacy receivers. But the SWM8 add on to the non SWM dish will allow both of these things.

Is this correct? If so, will installers take this into consideration when installing/upgrading equipment?

I've been in the process of trying to upgrade my equipment since Christmas (and now it's March 1st!!!). After going round and round with everyone at DirecTV from customer service up to the presidents office, I finally had them agree to provide me with a SWM on the basis of paying for receiver upgrades for my non SWM compatible receivers. I'm also considering adding an OTA antenna, but I don't think I can pipe an outdoor antenna signal into the house if I get the SWM LNB dish.

Comment

You should be able to get the same frequencies on the SWM LNB cable as you can with a SWM multiswitch, but we can't guarantee it.

Comment

So how would you connect an OTA antenna? I guess you'd still have to use a multiswitch and diplexers?

Comment

With a SWM LNB, you'd just diplex the signal into the line at the dish and then back out again at the receiver.

Comment

With the SWM LNB, would you need a diplexer AND a splitter on the dish side? Then diplexers at the receivers inside to split OTA and satellite signals on each individual cable run?

Example: my current setup is the old 18" round dual LNB dish running to a multiswitch which accepts the two outputs from the dish and sends signals to 4 individual receivers in my home.

I'm looking to upgrade to the slimline dish so I can get HD, but if I get the SWM LNB which only has one output, how does it get split off to the four seperate rooms?

Comment

On the dish end, you just diplex the other signal in.

Then, inside your house, wherever it makes sense, you use a SWM-approved 1x4 splitter to get the signal to each room. See our SWM splitters.

Comment

Working...
                      X